What's new

LXG and Van Helsing (1 Viewer)

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Although I know LXG sucked royal butt, Van Helsing looks ok, but along the same lines as the former. It seems, though, that the two movies, although not having the same director, tie into each other somewhat. While watching the DVD of LXG the other day (which, sadly, is also a crap DVD), there is a part where Mina (the vampire woman) says that her husband worked with a man named Van Helsing. Of course, when I first saw this movie, that didn't stand out too much, but now, knowing Van Helsing is an actual movie, I happened to notice it. It's in the part just after they're leaving from Dorian Grey's home.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
More than an "actual movie." Van Helsing and Mina are two characters from Bram Stoker's novel "Dracula".

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Ah, ok. Then that's the connection. I haven't read the novel, but now it makes sense.

Mikel, there is a part in the movie LXG in which Mina mentions Van Helsing. I noticed this, and simply thought it stood out.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

It stands out because it's a nod to the literary heritage of the character, and a hint that she's a vampire to anyone who knows the story of Dracula.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
Van Helsing has been borrowed from Bram Stokers books many times to serve a purpose in Vampire films, if not Van Helsing himself it is always a direct descendant of him. Anthony Hopkins played Hellsing in Coppola's Dracula, I remember Van Hellsing being in 'THE MONSTER SQUAD' as well.

What other films has this character been in? Or one of his descendants?

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

Just about every major Dracula adaptation, I'd say. Peter Cushing played him in the Hammer version. The funny thing about this new Van Helsing movie is the way that they've reimagined the character as an action hero with cool gadgets instead of the fervent but tweedy character that he's always been portrayed as in the past.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
That seems to be the norm these days. My wife made the comment while watching "Underworld" the other day about the "Matrix" clothes the vampire death dealers wore in the film. I just hope that "Van Helsing" doesn't come off like another "Matrix" Neo wannabe. Peter Cushing's portrayal of Van Helsing in the Hammer films always made me think of him as a tranplanted Sherlock Holmes in those films, but actually truer to the original character in the "Dracula" novel than the charcter may turn out to be in the new "Van Helsing" movie. To be honest, I'm gonna go see this mostly because of Kate Beckinsale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks