luxman receiver crackles

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darren Oleski, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Darren Oleski

Hi -

I have a 15-year-old Luxman analog receiver that I want to use in my den. It operates and sounds great, except when I turn the balance knob. Turning it creates crackling from both speakers. Sometimes the speaker or speakers cut out completely. I have isolated the problem to turning the balance knob.

I imagine that I must have a dirty contact inside the receiver. If this is, in fact, the case, how do I clean it? Or, if I am wrong in my assessment, I would like to hear other suggestions.

Thanks!

2. Steve G

Steve G Agent

Darren. I think your right about it being a contact. Radio Shack or any store like it should have cleaners. It usually comes in a spray can or bottle. You can spray it right behind the knob, or take the knob off and spray right in. You should be able to take the cover off and do it that way also. I had a couple of Luxman receivers about 25 years ago and a friend of mine has one of them still.I had models 1050 and 1120 if my memory is right. When I get a chance to hear my buddys, I still regret selling them. They were THE, and still are the finest stereo receivers that I've ever listened to. Good Luck

Steve

3. Darren Oleski

Steve -

Thanks for your help. I'll stop by Radio Shack and look for the spray.

Darren

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    My old Carver receiver used to have the same problem, but since I never play with the balance switch, I never bothered to fix it. Really, how often is one changing the balance between left and right speakers anyway?

Another thing you can try is one of those compressed air cleaners they sell for computer keyboards and stuff. Might be less invasive than the contact cleaner but if you only had to buy one, I'd buy the contact cleaner.

Jay

5. Darren Oleski

Jay -

You are right...the balance knob gets tweaked about as often as I get kissed by Nicole Kidman. But, I do like all my parts to work. I'll give the contact spray a try.

Thanks!

6. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Jay and Darren:

You guys said

7. Lewis

Lewis Agent

I have an intergrated amp that has a similar problems. Some times it crackles on the left channel and then the right. It seems it I play with the volume control or balence and it clears up. I tried cleaning but did not help. Anyother suggestions.