Luxman compares to what today?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dean-P, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Dean-P

Dean-P Stunt Coordinator

I have a Luxman L-235 rated at 75w/chnl(which I find is very conservative).I wished that it was capable of surround sound! I find it very clear with lots of bass comparing it to my "new" JVC 6020 with the same speakers being used.
    My question is, what would it compare to today's amps/recievers in terms of true power rating and clearness/bass? And which model?
    Would I be correct in assuming a H/K?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Luxman first imported its power amps, preamps, and integrated amps into this country in 1975. Its apparent "target" (and the brand whose products it most clearly emulated) was McIntosh. Lux's flagship product at the time was a huge (and heavy at 130 pounds) 300-watts-per-channel power amplifier — a dagger aimed at the heart of the legendary McIntosh MC2300.

Among those products, too, were units that played for the sentiments of the emerging "high-end" audio market. One preamp and two mono power amps were vacuum tube-based designs.

As the 1980s arrived, Lux repositioned itself in the U.S., aiming primarily at what the high-end partisans came to call "mid-fi" (an undeserved perjoritive).

Now that home theater is stealing the show from hobbyist audio, I can't say that a Lux receiver has any real counterparts in the modern world.

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I would think NAD would be either its equivalent or better nowadays.

4. JasenJ

JasenJ Agent

I have a Luxman R-341 (35 W/pc driving Paradigm 5se Mk IIs). As I've browsed dealerships listening to other receivers over the years, I find NAD to be a close match to the Luxman. My Luxman has a "smoothness" that is hard to find. Many other receivers sound harsher, over-crisp, more "electronic". The NADs I've listened to seem to have the same "power" and cleanness that the Luxman has.

For specific models: NAD T762 and T752.

- Jasen.

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Current Luxman website in English.

Luxman's Japanese website, I think, is a little more updated. It's in Japanese, but check out the pics. Should would like to have that DU-10 universal player.