Lutron Spacers side by side?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ronald.H, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Ronald.H

Ronald.H Agent

I've wired my theater with two switches - one for the front sconces, one for the backs. The two switches are double ganged. I'd like to install Lutron Spacers to allow for remote dimming. Can the Spacer frequency be adusted so I can adjust them separately? Or, since the Spacers are right next to each other, will they both respond to the same IR signal?

Thanks!
    Ron

2. richard_v

richard_v Stunt Coordinator

3. Ronald.H

Ronald.H Agent

Richard:

I've done some more research and here's what I think I've found out.

Using those Spacer dimmers (available at Lowe's et.al.), when you point your remote to them, they will all respond. If you want them to react separately, you need to move up to the Spacer System dimmers, which are not available at typical home improvement stores.

There are two ways to do it. One is to install a SPS-5WC controller in the same box as your other dimmers, on either end. The dimmers themselves need to be SPS-600 (as opposed to the SP-600 available at Lowe's). Now you can control each of your dimmers separately creating different "scenes."

If you'd rather point your remote to a different location from your dimmers, you can install a master control unit (SPS-5WCR) in a single gang box, run two 14awg wires to your dimmers and clip on the included IR blaster. This is what I've decided to do. I just installed a single box at the front of my room and ran two wires to my switch box (double-gang) which is at the back of the room. When I get everything installed, I will (hopefully) be able to point the remote toward the screen and it will send the signal to dim to the dimmers at the back of the room.

We shall see... Of course, this is going to cost much more than your Spacers that you found on sale at Lowe's!

Ron

4. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

heh heh... interesting thread. We've had a couple threads on the "Spacer" vs. "Spacer System" confusion that MANY people have encountered.

Richard-- when I browsed your website a couple days ago, I was pretty sure you were using the Spacers and not the System, since you mentioned you got them on sale for around $50. I wonder how many people there are here, who have done the same thing.... I'm guessing more than a few.

FWIF--- I used to have a Spacer for about 2 years, with dimming from 2 locations. I'm redesigning my room and wanted to have more control over the lighting (multi-scene), in addition to adding some automation features, such as curtain control. I've moved to an X-10 based system that is working well so far. I've only done the basic testing, but it looks like it will meet my needs. I did a quick price comparison a while ago and found that the X-10 stuff would be cheaper (for me) than moving to a Spacer System. The added controls were just icing on the cake. The Spacer System's becoming pretty popular though, so maybe their pricing has fallen in the last year or so.