Lutron Spacer Remote Dimmers/ Two in one room

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Carson E, Sep 17, 2001.

1. Carson E

Carson E Agent

Was wondering if possible to use (two) remote spacer dimmers in one room . If the dimmers are next to each other the remote would control both at once. Correct? What about rewiring one box to the opposite side wall? As of now one box for recess and one for sconce, side by side.
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Carson

2. Carson E

Carson E Agent

As I have no experience (first time building) I would very much appreciate any suggestions on how to run two Lutron Spacer Remote Dimmers in one room, one for recess, one for sconce. As of now the boxes are wired side by side . This probably wont work...so again for any help I am grateful.
    Carson

3. Carson E

Carson E Agent

Oh Well...Thanks anyway.

4. Vance

Vance Auditioning

Carson,
    I used a Lutron Spacer in my last theater and it worked great. I guess that you could use 2 located close together and have an effect of both working different circuits.
    Since I installed mine, Lutron has come out with different versions of the Spacer product... You might want to check out their site for the Spacer System

5. GregH

GregH Agent

A Luton spacer really isn't the right solution for multiple scenes in one room. However, if you really felt hacking it you'd need something like a Pronto Pro set to the RF mode and then use the IR emitter base to run to each of the switches. However, the IR receiver is on the front of the unit so you'll have a little IR "chiclet" sitting on the switch.

6. Carson E

Carson E Agent

Thanks for the replies.
    After extensive reading of Lutron's pdf pages it seems that the remote sensors are not omni-directional.
    So I had the electrician to re run one of the boxes to the opposite wall. Side walls are 15' apart. This puts one for sconces on one side and the recess dimmer on the opposite wall. Aim to left for one...aim to right for the other.
    I hope this works. Just wish I could have figured it out before the sheetrock went up. It really cost ($) to move a box after sheetrock.
    aah...rural living, rural electricians that have no experience with remote dimmer installations, and Home Depots that dont know what a Lutron Spacer is or how it works...... Oh what fun.

7. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

8. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

Jay?? Didya get so flustered that you had to quote a post from 1-1/2 years ago??!?!? [​IMG]
    BTW, there is common confusion over two different products in the Lutron line-- the Spacer (aka "Spacer for Single Lights") and the Spacer System. Thay are actually two different things (a Spacer can't be used with the Spacer System). So, actually, the Spacer is not marketed for multi scenes. The Spacer System is.
    Vance's post in this thread refers to the System, but doesn't explain the difference. We had a recent thread discussing this difference (and confusion), as well. I wish the Lutron folks would get a clue-- they should just rename the "Spacer for Single Lights."
    For others interested in the Spacers:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...78#post1507978

9. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

Also-- has anyone used the Lutron Radio RA products?? It uses RF (not X-10). I'm planning a remodel of my HT and was considering this new line of theirs.
    http://www.lutron.com/radiora/

10. Harlan

Harlan Agent

I had the same experience. Home Depot Expo told me that each spacer was on a different frequency and they could be used side by side. I'm an engineer and why I fell for that I don't know. The solution I have is to have an emitter over the window of the scones and I use the other three manually. I'd be more PO'd but they only charged me $26 each [​IMG]
    Harlan

11. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

Harlan, I'm assuming you used the Spacer and didn't know the Spacer System existed. Some people here have reported that HDepot sells the Spacer, but not the Spacer System. I don't know-- I bought mine through a lighting store.

Just so there isn't confusion with other readers-- the Spacer System would have worked for you.

12. Harlan

Harlan Agent

Mike,

I did use individual Spacer lights. This was the recommendation of the Hoe Depot Sales person. I doubted it would work but the Manager said the same thing.

Harlan

13. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Stunt Coordinator

In this configuration it shows the five dimmers connected to a 5-Scene master via the IR Blaster cable. Is there a trick to connecting 6 to 10 Spacer dimmers to a Master control? For instance can you connect a second bank of dimmers (six through ten) to the Master control with a second IR Blaster cable?
    One other question if you don't mind. My theater will have two entrances, one on the side and one in the rear. If I mount a gang of dimmers next to one entrance and the Master switch next to the other entrance, can I still conveniently operate the remote control, by aiming it to the side, without having to turn around?
    Thanks in advance.
    Larry

14. Domonic A

Domonic A Stunt Coordinator

Domonic Ableidinger
    I am in the same boat as you are Larry. I am framing the basement and will have 4 zones of lights that I want to control from 2 sets of switches on different walls as well as a remote. I need to figure out how and if it can be wired. I am thinking about calling Lutron about my question. I will let ya know what I find out.

Thanks,

Domonic

15. Larry Chanin

Hi Domonic,

I called Lutron some time ago, and they proposed a solution. I've had my electrician prewire in accordance with this configuration, but since they haven't trimmed everything out yet, I can't tell you for sure how well it works yet.

I bought a Remote Wall Mounted Master Control unit and six single location dimmers. I've had the Master Control unit mounted to the side of my home theater adjacent to the main entrance, french doors. A 6-gang wall box is mounted in the rear of the room adjacent to the rear door. The six Space System dimmers, for the six zones, are mounted in the gang box and wired to each set of lights. The Remote Master Control unit is mounted in a single gang box. Traveler wires, minimum 14 AWG, are run from the Master Controler to the 6-gang box. The two IR Blaster clips that come with the Controller are wire-nutted to the traveler wires in parallel. One of them is attached to the second dimmer in the gang box and the other to the fifth dimmer. The use of two IR Blasters in the same 6-gang box ensures that the IR signal will get to all dimmers.

I hope this makes sense to you. Good luck.

Larry

16. Domonic A

Domonic A Stunt Coordinator

Domonic Ableidinger
    Sorry I did a search and looked at the wrong posted date, live and learn. With your configuration are you able to dim any one of the zones indepentant from the other.

So the remote master is in the front of the room and travelers from their to the 6 gang in the rear. Is it possible to wire the system with a second set of switches. The entance to my HT room is in the rear where one set of switches will be located. There is also a patio door for the walkout basement that Is in the front left of the room that I would like to be able to turn lights on and off from. Are their 6 traveler wires going from the Master to the 6 gang?

Does this set-up allow you to have preset lighting scenes? What is the cost for a set up like this?

Thanks for your help,

Domonic

17. Larry Chanin

Hi Domonic,

I’ll try to answer your questions, but I think it would be wise if you also consulted Lutron Technical Services to be sure. I found them to be very helpful.

As I said my installation hasn’t been completed so I can’t tell you with complete certainty. However, I’ll give you my understanding as I know it.