What's new

Lutron for outlets? (1 Viewer)

I've been looking over the Lutron Spacers for my room -- I have two wall switches controlling a single outlet into which I plug a lamp. There is no built-in overhead lighting.
I want to use a Spacer to replace the two switches and control the lighting via remote.
Is it ok/safe to use these dimmers to control the outlet which feeds the lamp? I've seen hints that this should not be done, but nothing certain. Has anyone done this, or does anyone know if this can/should be done?

Gary Silverman

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,
This isn't something you should do. The code prohibits it because if some unknowing person plugged something other than the lamp into it, when dimmed it could a fire hazard.And, even if it didn't cause a fire, you could ruin whatever was plugged in.You could, however, plug a dimming module into the receptacle, and then plug the lamp into that. I know that there are Leviton and X-10 modules for this, but I don't think Lutron makes them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks