Lumet award: Warner, please release 'Prince Of The City'

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bruce Morrison, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Supporting Actor

Sidney Lumet is to receive an honorary award at the Academy Awards ceremony next year in recognition of his services to cinema over a long career.

This reminds me that one of his finest films, 'Prince Of The City', is still not available on DVD. I hope Warners will release it next year to mark this well-deserved award.

2. Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy Second Unit

This issue drives me nuts... I agree, where is this film?

I read somewhere that Laurent Bouzereau was working on a box set of some of his films, but I've give up waiting to be honest, and bought the naff Pan and Scan versions of Deathtrap and Power.

Be ace if someone could shed some light on this...

3. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Prince of the City...yes, please.

Where is this film? Interesting that Bouzereau is supposedly at work on this film. If there is an SE of this film, I'm sure some connection will be made to the fact that DePalma was originally slated to direct this film. When he lost the project, he popped some of the material into his "consolation prize" Blow Out.

This is the scene where
    Travolta flashes back to his life wiring police informants and the moment one of his assignments ends in tragedy.

Bouzereau's bread and butter, so to speak, is DePalma. If the above news is true, I'm sure he'll do just fine by Prince of the City.

Incidentally, my cousin plays Treat Williams and Lindsay Crouse's baby daughter in this film. In her scene, she's being fed by Treat, but is partially cropped in the MAR version. I need this in OAR, so I can see her debut in its entirety! [​IMG]

4. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

Lumet has so many great films. Prince... Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico, The Verdict, Murder On the Orient Express, Running On Empty and my favorite Network. It is about time he recieved an award from the Academy. How about a SE: of Network though?

5. Scott David

Scott David Stunt Coordinator

I second that, along with an SE of "Dog Day Afternoon". There's some sort of short film that was shown a couple of years ago in museums that has the real present-day Sonny recreating the bank robbery; that would be an interesting little extra for the DVD.

6. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I love Prince of the City. I really hope that Warner will issue this on DVD, it's one of the best films of the 80's.

I would also like to see these other fine Lumet films on DVD such as:

Anderson Tapes, The
    Bye Bye Braverman
    Child's Play
    Daniel
    Deadly Affair, The
    Fugitive Kind, The
    Group, The
    Hill, The
    Offence, The
    View from the Bridge, A

Would also agree that Dog Day Afternoon & Network deserve the SE treatment (as well as 12 Angry Men) and Running on Empty should be re-issued in its proper OAR.

7. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

I concur!!! I want PRINCE OF THE CITY!!!

8. Fredric

Fredric Stunt Coordinator

What's up with a bunch of his DVDs beeing fullscreen?

9. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    Count me in for a copy. Ditto for a Network SE. The first one is non anamorphic, correct?

10. Rob P S

Rob P S Cinematographer

rob
    Did anyone ask about this at the WB chat?

11. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes

No. Somehow it go missed (along with Bladerunner - go figure!).

I would hope with the SE's of Network and Dog Day Afternoon they are working on, this will at least get a movie only release around the same time. It would make sense.

12. PatrickDA

PatrickDA Stunt Coordinator

'The Hill' and 'Prince of the City' MUST be released on DVD
    in Special Editions!!!!

13. Ross Munro

Ross Munro Auditioning

This classic wasn't asked about on the chat- more important to know when the first season of Hangin' with Mr. Cooper is coming out.....arghhhhhh.....

14. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

Yeah, some priorities, huh?

15. AlexCremers

AlexCremers Second Unit

One more vote for 'Prince Of The City', one of the finest films of the 80s indeed.

16. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Frustratingly, Warner released the VHS tape and Laserisc (also 1.33:1) in March of 1996, so we narrowly missed out on a DVD back in dark ages, probably a good thing, says I.

There may, in fact, be a rights dispute over this film, as the VHS and LD went OOP pretty quick and, presently, there is no DVD. The film was, originally, an Orion production and was distributed thru Orion and Warner. Warner must have made a deal with someone to release the film on video in 1995/96, but it didn't last long. Orion's library was bought by MGM, who, as we all know, are now owned by Sony.

It is an amazing film; one of the greatest American of the last 30 years.

Running on Empty also needs a new anamorphic SE.

17. AlexCremers

AlexCremers Second Unit

And I thought it was because the movie was too depressing :wink:. Noboby seems interested. If Lumet gets praised, it's always because of 'Serpico' and 'Dog Day Afternoon'. But never with 'Prince of the City', a film which very well could be his crowning achievement.

18. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

Pretty much all of the Orion (Warner titles) except for Zelig and A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy (Both MGM) are controlled still by Warner. Perhaps Warner is working on it along with the SE's of Network and Dog Day Afternoon both due next year.

19. AlexCremers

AlexCremers Second Unit

OMG, I'm holding in my hands the world premiere DVD of Prince Of The City!!!!

[​IMG]

20. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Stunt Coordinator

Hopefully this German release means that a Region 1 release is on the horizon.

A great film. I saw this 3 or 4 times in the 80's including it's initial theatrical release. I think it played a week at the local cinema. Surely Treat Williams' best role, but I don't think it's Lumet's best film (Well maybe it is, but my favorite is DOG DAY AFTERNOON, although NETWORK is a stunner also (need to see this some more), and like DR STRANGELOVE just seems more and more timely). PRINCE is definitely unique in Lumet's body of work owing to the length. A lot of Lumet's films usually aren't more than around 2 hours. PRINCE is 160 something minutes. I remember it having a different 'feel' probably owing to the pacing and the sustained build up.

Interesting about the De Palma connection and BLOW UP. I would really like to see/hear more about that in a DVD edition in which, as has been stated, Laurent Bouzereau would be the obvious choice owing to his connection with previous De Palma special editions.

Which brings up the following point... How come MGM never gave BLOW UP (a personal favorite) the special edition treatment while other De Palma DVD releases at the time did - DRESSED TO KILL and the CARRIE reissue.

Oh, and another vote for an anamorphic widescreen edition of RUNNING ON EMPTY. A beautifully crafted and definitely overlooked gem.