Lumens

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Vrajku, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Vrajku

Vrajku Extra

What is meant by Lumens? Should a projector have a low or high number for this? Some of the best projectors have only 1000 Lumens whereas some low priced projectors have higher Lumens Value.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Lumens... how bright the image is thrown onto a screen. Generally the brighter the better but lumens is not everything. Many data projectors are bright which is perfectly good for presentations as a presentation room often has some lights on. Most of those same data projectors also have low contrast ratios which is probably an even more important spec. A projector with a higher contrast ratio will display blacks as black rather than dark gray and shadow detail in movies will be much more distinguishable than a projector with a lower contrast ratio.

Also, keep in mind that the amount of ambient light in your room is important. A room that can be totally darkened will make even a 250 ansi lumen projector look bright enough for movie watching. The projectors in the local cinemas put out a lower light output onto the screen than most home theatre setups so achieving absolute lack of interfearing ambient light is critically important. Last point... if your projector is brighter then a little ambient light in the room will not affect the picture as much, something to consider if you know your room cannot be totally light controlled, or if you plan on watching the football game with the room not darkened.

For a little more information on projectors in the HT environment, check this post... Front Projection - How do I select one for my needs?

3. Vrajku

Vrajku Extra

Wow! So much useful information that I was totally ignorant of. Thanks so much. I really like this website. It is so useful to gather all this information than blindly going to the store and trying to purchase Home Theater Equipment. I am so glad I found this web site