What's new

Luis Bunuel’s ROBINSON CRUSOE (1952) coming to R1 DVD! (1 Viewer)

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately, that’s all I know so far except that it’s being touted as the “50th Anniversary Edition” and is scheduled for a 08/31/04 release from VCI. Of course, this doesn’t necessarily entail a veritable SE with all the trimmings we’ve come to expect – after all, last year Warners gave us a bare-bones “50th Anniversary Edition” of THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1951) on DVD! Anyway, I don’t own the film on any home video format yet so I’ll be picking it up regardless as it’s one of my favorite Bunuels.

In case anyone’s wondering, this Mexican production was released in the U.S. in 1954 so that is what is being celebrated here. The film, Bunuel’s first of two made in the English language – the other was the underrated THE YOUNG ONE (1960) - even garnered a much deserved Academy Award nomination for Dan O’Herlihy who, playing the titular character, is obviously on screen for the entire duration of the film. Having watched it twice already, I can heartily recommend this film to everyone (something which cannot be said of several other Bunuels): not only is it enormously enjoyable as a splendidly cinematic adaptation of this children’s classic but also an intellectually stimulating experience on a par with Bunuel’s later and more renowned masterpieces.

By the way, here’s a link to the Press Release issued a couple of days ago:

http://www.vcientertainment.com/pres...nsonCrusoe.txt

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
VCI transfers vary between the mediocre (Slightly Scarlet) and the magnificent (City of The Dead); here's hoping this is the latter :emoji_thumbsup:

BTW, they have been known to add some very intertesting extras to their discs, so there is hope in that department.

---
So many films, so little time...

Ali B

Second Unit

Surely you mean a Bunueloni? :)

Incidentally, while we're on the subject of Bunuel I noticed that Facets have El Bruto on DVD - has anyone bought this? If so, what's the quality like?

Also, are these the only Bunuel films released that have english subs:

Discreet Charm R1
Diary of a Chambermaid R1
That Obscure Object R1
Belle du Jour R1/2
Los Olvidados R2 France
El / Cruz R2 France

?

Jay E

Senior HTF Member

I only see a DVD put out by Ventura which has no subtitles.

Where did you see a Facets release?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
As far as I know, this is it -- that's all I have anyway. The latter two discs are from a company called "Films Sans Frontieres", and "Las Hurdes" is included on the "Los Olvidados" disc, but unfortunately isn't subbed (and the juxtaposition of the narration against the images is of enormous significance to the effect and tone of the film).

Whatever happened to "L'Age d'Or"? Do we have a new release date for that one yet?

I've never even seen "Robinson Crusoe" -- can't wait! :)

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
VCI have finally announced the supplements for their upcoming DVD of Luis Bunuel’s ROBINSON CRUSOE (1952):

· Bios, Filmographies and Behind-the-Scenes Stories
· Photo & Poster Gallery
· Collectible Pressbook Reproduction
· Restoration Before & After Video

As I feared, therefore, not much of a “Special Edition” despite the “50th Anniversary Edition” tag and the running time for the main feature is the shorter 90-minute English language version. However, the languages are given as being both English and Spanish! But then there is no indication of English subtitles so make of that what you will. You can take a look for yourselves here:

http://www.vcientertainment.com/pro...num=8350&page=1

Even so, this is one of my most wanted discs of the year and is, in my opinion, an essential purchase for Bunuel fans, adventure stories enthusiasts and true lovers of cinema alike. Meanwhile, here is a look at an enlarged reproduction of the front cover of the VCI DVD:

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_it...id=612298&tab=5

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
VCI have finally announced the supplements for their upcoming DVD of Luis Bunuel’s ROBINSON CRUSOE (1952):

· Bios, Filmographies and Behind-the-Scenes Stories
· Photo & Poster Gallery
· Collectible Pressbook Reproduction
· Restoration Before & After Video

As I feared, therefore, not much of a “Special Edition” despite the “50th Anniversary Edition” tag and the running time for the main feature is the shorter 90-minute English language version. However, the languages are given as being both English and Spanish! But then there is no indication of English subtitles so make of that what you will. You can take a look for yourselves here:

http://www.vcientertainment.com/pro...num=8350&page=1

Even so, this is one of my most wanted discs of the year and is, in my opinion, an essential purchase for Bunuel fans, adventure stories enthusiasts and true lovers of cinema alike. Meanwhile, here is a look at an enlarged reproduction of the front cover of the VCI DVD:

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_it...id=612298&tab=5

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Neither of those links work Roderick.

EDIT - I should have added 'for me'. But I've found them anyway - thanks Roderick.

---

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Neither of those links work Roderick.

EDIT - I should have added 'for me'. But I've found them anyway - thanks Roderick.

---

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
The first one works fine, the DVD Empire link doesn't; however, here's that larger art:

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
The first one works fine, the DVD Empire link doesn't; however, here's that larger art:

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
Quote (originally posted by Jay E):

"I only see a DVD put out by Ventura which has no subtitles."

The Cozumel/Ventura DVD of Luis Bunuel's EL BRUTO (1952) does have English subtitles albeit burnt in. The print utilized for the transfer is a little soft but still watchable; the film is good if distinctly minor fare by Bunuel's exceptionally high standards and to expect anything better in the near future for this film on DVD would be a waste of time. I'm glad I've purchased it myself especially since it wasn't too expensive to begin with. For what it's worth, here's the only online DVD review I managed to find of it:

http://www.frenchfilmsondvd.com/Show...Ref=1052810545

Quote (originally posted by Rich Malloy):

"Whatever happened to "L'Age d'Or"? Do we have a new release date for that one yet?"

The new release date for Kino's DVD of L'AGE D'OR (1930) is currently given as 11/09/04 although right now I can't seem to recall where I got it from.

Having seen both L'AGE D'OR and ROBINSON CRUSOE (1952) only on Italian TV so far, to say that I'm eagerly waiting for the Kino and VCI DVDs is a massive understatement.

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
Quote (originally posted by Jay E):

"I only see a DVD put out by Ventura which has no subtitles."

The Cozumel/Ventura DVD of Luis Bunuel's EL BRUTO (1952) does have English subtitles albeit burnt in. The print utilized for the transfer is a little soft but still watchable; the film is good if distinctly minor fare by Bunuel's exceptionally high standards and to expect anything better in the near future for this film on DVD would be a waste of time. I'm glad I've purchased it myself especially since it wasn't too expensive to begin with. For what it's worth, here's the only online DVD review I managed to find of it:

http://www.frenchfilmsondvd.com/Show...Ref=1052810545

Quote (originally posted by Rich Malloy):

"Whatever happened to "L'Age d'Or"? Do we have a new release date for that one yet?"

The new release date for Kino's DVD of L'AGE D'OR (1930) is currently given as 11/09/04 although right now I can't seem to recall where I got it from.

Having seen both L'AGE D'OR and ROBINSON CRUSOE (1952) only on Italian TV so far, to say that I'm eagerly waiting for the Kino and VCI DVDs is a massive understatement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks