Luis Buñuel's "El"... Sex, macho, etc...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Tooze, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

"El"
    Have any of you seen this marvelous film by director Luis Buñuel ?
    I strongly recommend it, not only to Buñuel fans, but to anyone. I have written a short review with some screen captures from the Spanish Region 0 NTSC DVD. CLICK HERE to access it...
    Comments welcome and appreciated... btw, the DVD also comes with another Buñuel film: The Criminal Life of Archibaldo de la Cruz" ...
    Personally, I find the most compelling thing about Buñuel’s films is their ability to mask rational thought. We can get so wrapped up in the characters and storyline that our logic circuits tend to dismiss irrational contexts, the absurdity of situation, which is probably the exact point. Void of the cloying pretenses and preaching Hollywood films, Buñuel remains faithful to his objectivity, even in the horrid images of a film like Las Hurdes (also available from DVDGO.com on a shared disc with Los Olvidados), which by some are viewed as so ridiculously impoverished that they border on the absurd and comedic. From a technical standpoint, I compare "Las Hurdes" to Resnais "Night and Fog"... long, slow horizontal tracking shots of the landscape, pain, suffering and the kids in it look a lot like concentration camp prisoners... anyway, just trying to spur some conversation other than Crowe, the Oscars and LotR...

2. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Great article Gary & thanks for the info.

I just want to make sure of this - is El available with Archibald or are they 2 separate DVDs? Thanks.

3. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

They are together on one DVD Jay... and so are Las Hurdes and Los Olvidados...

I would say, buy away... I am quite happy with them...

Cheers,

4. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Where can you order Los Olvidados & Las Hurdes from? DVDGO does not carry them. Thanks

5. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

Hmmm... I don't get it... its where I ( and Al Brown ) bought them from ?
    Here is my email from them... and they delivered right away:
    YOUR ORDER:
    Description: LOS OLVIDADOS (The Young And The Damned) Quantity: 1
    Description: ENSAYO DE UN CRIMEN (The Criminal Life Of Archibaldo De La Cruz) Quantity: 1
    PAYMENT METHOD: Direct credit card entry
    If you have any problem with your order, please contact [email protected]
    DVDGOGOSHOP S.L.
    Av. Burgos 12
    28036 MADRID
    SPAIN
    ???

6. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Gary

This is frustrating. I've been putting in all combinations of those titles in the search and nothing comes up on their website. Either I'm doing something wrong or it is no longer available.

7. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

Yeah... I'm trying to Jay... you'd think it would at least come up and say "Not in stock" or something... very mysterious...
    but El + The Criminal Life of Archibaldo de la Cruz is still available...
    CLICK HERE
    Maybe they are having some "copyright" issues.. maybe NOW is the time to get El etc. why you still can... its the better disc anyway...
    Cheers,

8. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Thanks Gary!

Archibald is not in stock at this time at dvdgo.com. Anyway, I need to get someone to translate their website for me when I place the order as my knowledge of Spanish is almost nil.

9. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Does the El DVD have English Subtitles?

10. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...both EL and ARCHIBALDO are on a single 'double feature' DVD-9, both movies feature optional English subtitles (and excellent transfers, clean sound)...
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

11. Evan Case

Evan Case Screenwriter

Gary,
    Las Hurdes (AKA: Land Without Bread) is many things: heartbreaking, chilling, dramatic. It is a great film, but it certainly isn't objective.
    Examples (unless my memory is shot, in which case I apologize to Bunuel):
    - the shot of the snake slithering around the monastery as the narrator talks of how the church owns the majority of the property in the region
    - look at the footage of the dying goat: the shots don't match. Bunuel staged the overhead shot of the goat's fall by tossing one he had already killed over the edge. Also, it's rumored that the one in the intial long shot was shot by a rifle in order to make it fall
    - the narrator's dismissive description of the mentally retarded (inbred) Hurdanoes as "horrifying."
    - much more which I can't recall
    Anyway, I'm of the opinion that no documentary is objective, so don't take this as a shot aimed only at Bunuel. Land Without Bread remains an important film, and the four or five fiction films of Bunuel that I've seen have been uniformly excellent.
    Evan

12. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer