Lucky Louie

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by mattCR, Jun 11, 2006.

1. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Ok, I always give HBO shows a chance, but did anyone manage to watch the whole thing? This seemed like a terrible Mr. Show Sketch that kept going, and going, and going - but going nowhere.

I can't believe HBO is tightening up budgets on things like Deadwood when this kind of thing can get a time slot.

2. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I watched the whole thing. I admit to laughing out loud several times (not easy to make me do), but something about it just didn't seem right. Perhaps it was the "live audience" thing, or perhaps it was just the terrible acting. Some funny bits though.

3. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    The "Why" bit got me a little, but it just seemed.. like it was a sketch out of Mr. Show gone wrong. It had that kind of feel to it. And a lot of times the jokes were so telegraphed and the acting around it was so bad that it just seemed unfinished. I just kept thinking the budget of this show is more then enough to keep something like Deadwood for another season [​IMG]

4. aldamon

aldamon Second Unit

Doubtful.

The previews left little to the imagination regarding the quality or setups, so I'm confused by the disappointment here. We had low expectations and laughed our asses off.

Hopefully the show will morph into something like a Rosanne Uncensored.

5. WillG

WillG Producer

Not Great, but I'll give it another shot next week. It's tough to judge a sitcom on it's pilot episode anyway.

6. Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi Supporting Actor

Joe Bernardi
    I gave up after five minutes because of the awful laugh track.

7. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

According to an interview I listened to with Louie whateverhisnameis there is no laugh track.

8. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

That is a real studio audience. Although it seems like they picked up the drunken frat boy audience of MARRIED WITH CHILDREN.

I didn't think the show was terrible, but if it wasn't on after ENTOURAGE, I don't think I would watch it regularly.

It was kind of funny to hear some of Bobby Hill's dialogue in this. I don't think Hank would approve.

9. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I really liked it, the only negative thing was that some of the R-rated humor seemed sort of forced, as in "we're contractually obligated to push the envelope". Hopefully the show will last long enough for the novelty will wear off. I'm all for the profanity (I own some of the most profane movies ever released) I just think the show will benefit when it can be used more naturally and casually.

10. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Funny you should mention that. My wife and I bailed on this show after the birthday party. It was not the quality that I have come to expect from HBO.

11. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    That's where I quit.. after the black barbie joke it seemed like a bad Mad TV type sketch.. and then when they did the bit with the gun... I was out of there. I couldn't explain it but the audience just felt "bad" and the production values were "eh" and to be honest, I knew in about 3 minutes about where this was headed.

12. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Wow, this show was really bad. The whole thing had horrible lighting and sound that made it look like it was some high school play. I can't believe this was from HBO.

13. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I'm guessing it was their intention to make it look like that...perhaps a throwback to the low quality sitcom sets of the 70's? Kind of strange that it was in HD though.

14. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

I will say one thing good about LOUIE, did anyone stay and watch TOURGASM after it? The new show following stand up Dane Cook and three friends on a "comedy" tour around the country.

The writers of LOUIE are up there with the original SNL comedy writers compared to the TOURGASM folks. A completely laugh free 30 minutes. And some of it was stand up.

15. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Well, if they tried to make it look like that, and then allowed the show to be in HD to show all the glaring flaws, it's a bad decision then.

It totally takes me out of the show when you can see the entire cardboard looking set wobble when someone slams the "door", or when they have the audience levels cranked up so loud that every laugh seems forced. Again, it just felt like some cheap high school play or SNL sketch. And I really like Louie C.K. from his numerous stand up appearances on Conan. It's a shame.

16. Brent M

Brent M Producer

I thought the show would be funny after seeing the previews, but I really didn't enjoy it much at all. That whole "why?" part at the beginning almost got me to change the channel on the spot. There were a couple of laughs, but I honestly don't know if I'll bother watching it next week(even though it's sandwiched between two shows I will watch: Entourage and Tourgasm).

17. Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez Screenwriter

LOL

you're kidding, right?

18. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

Louie looked so cheap I don't think they could fund 15 minutes of Deadwood for an entire season of Lucky Louie.

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Did this show get pulled after just 1 episode?

20. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Lucky Louie was bad...but please don't tell me it was worse than Tourgasm. That was downright painful. And I'm a big fan of Dane Cook.