Lucio Fulci's Zombie

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BarryS, Oct 15, 2002.

1. BarryS

BarryS Second Unit

I just rented this DVD from a mom & pop. I put in the DVD and the Anchor Bay logo comes up. Then there's a closeup of a gun which fires into a head with a sheet over it and something that looks like a link sausage comes out. A voice says "The boat can leave now", or something like that. I thought this was a piece of footage from an animated menu and expected a menu screen to pop up at any second. Rather, the movie title ZOMBIE came up, followed by STARRING credits. Is this really how the movie opens or is the DVD screwed up? No fade up, no production company credits, nothing like that. It starts with what looks like the middle of a scene. I know there are Fulci fans around here so hopefully someone can fill me in. By the way, this DVD has no timer or chapter numbering. I'll have to look at my watch to determine how long the movie was! What a piece of crap!

2. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Actually I'm not entirely sure if all Anchor bay DVD's do this, but I know a few of them does.
    By the way, isn't Zombie supposed to be rereleased as a SE from Shriekshow or possibly another company? I thought I remembered something like that, but can't find confirmation on their web site or any of the news sites I usually use.

3. DanielM

DanielM Stunt Coordinator

I do believe that is how it starts

4. Dave Kalloch

Dave Kalloch Stunt Coordinator

That's how mine does. No menues,no chapter stops,just the movie.

5. JayF

JayF Stunt Coordinator

That is definitely how the movie starts... there's nothing wrong with your disc.

6. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

I bought it when it was re-released because it was so darn cheap. But I would love to know the updated status of the film. It was one of Anchor Bay's earlier efforts and wasn't done very well. I'd at least like an anamorphic transfer.

7. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

Wait... did you stop watching the film after this scene? The scene makes perfect sense (which is more than you can say for most of the film) once you've seen the film about halfway through.

8. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

great eerie movie. i've always loved it and it still is the second best zombie flick (after Night Of...)