Lucas's view on OAR!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Schick, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Steve Schick

Steve Schick Stunt Coordinator

2. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

Yub Yub!!! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "Again we see that there is nothing you can possess, which I cannot take away.."
    My DVD List

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Actually, there was a time when Lucas said that he would never allow Star Wars to be show Pan&Scanned. Then it turned out that if he wanted it on TV, they wouldn't take widescreen, so he relented, but has NEVER wanted it in P&S
    That's why you will NEVER see P&S DVDs, A-Because Lucas probably forbids it, and B- Because it's F-O(AR)-X!!!
    Jeff Kleist

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    One of the reasons that Lucas was not too keen to release the original Star Wars to television or home video was that he did not like the way it looked panned & scanned. There was not an accepted alternative to this for home video at the time.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA

5. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

Isn't he one of the many filmmakers with Copolla trying to get their point out about WS?? I've never imagined Lucas to be for anything but widescreen.
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

6. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

Lucas, Coppola, Scorsese and Spielberg are staunch supporters of OAR. They all have been big figures in the film restoration and preservation worlds.
    ------------------
    webmaster davisdvd.com
    International Exclusives

7. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Where was Spielberg, Scorcessi, Coppola etc when we were fighting it out with Warner over 'Wonka', do you guys think they were just as furious as we were, and more importantly, do you think they were fighting Warner as well?
    I mean I know that neither 'Wonka' or 'Cats and Dogs' were their films, and technically they shouldn't really care what Warner does with them, but do you guys think that they understood the bigger picture, and came to our aid somehow?
    ------------------
    So madly in love with Estella Warren!

8. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

John - you're kidding, right? If we were talking about Citizen Kane, LOA,etc, you might hear from them, IMHO...
    Matt
    ------------------
    "And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

9. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Why would I be kidding?
    I mean they're filmmakers, and they love and respect OAR, i'm sure that they don't want to see pan n scan and full frame re-emerge and start to dominate dvd like it has vhs, and belive me, if it's not stopped HERE it eventually will. Is it so hard to believe that they may have called and e-mailed Warner and voiced their displeasure over this.
    ------------------
    So madly in love with Estella Warren!

10. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

I think you'd have to be tuned in to the internet DVD community to even have known a damn thing about it.
    Some prominent filmmakers have their finger on the pulse of such things, but there are plenty who don't.
    But anyway with respect to Lucas, and other filmmakers, being pro-OAR, it almost seems a "well duh" thing. Of course they are. They're the ones who looked into the monitors on set and framed the images along with their DPs. They know that their carefully composed pictures are being either cut off or otherwised altered for no better reason than to fit a TV screen.
    If anything, they should be surprised that any of us care. He's not in our camp, we're in his.
    [Edited last by Mitty on August 31, 2001 at 02:59 AM]

11. Michael Ballack

Michael Ballack Second Unit

At least this is one thing that you guys can't bash Lucas for. If he was really this money-milking dictator, he would have first released TPM DVD in Pan and Scan DD 2.0 with no extras. But does he do that? NO. He releases one hell of a special edition. It's a shame it still won't be good enough for some people.
    Lucas's view on OAR doesn't surprise me since he's such a audio and video geek and the fact that he owns a company like ILM. I can't believe I even watched Star Wars in Pan and Scan. What in the hell was I thinking? I caught Star Wars on TBS the other day and got sick trying to watch the closterfobic,fast moving-butchered Pan and Scan. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Michael's DVD's

12. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I think they should make an advert for mainstream TV to push for OAR, along the lines of:
    "Hi, I'm Steven Spielberg. You might remember me as the director of great movies like 1941, Hook and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. You see kids what I'm going to talk to you about today are Aspect Ratios..."
    Okay, I've just been watching waaaay too much Simpsons... [​IMG]
    Theo

13. Bryant Frazer

Bryant Frazer Stunt Coordinator

14. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

hey, Lucas has kids... I wonder if he is waiting for the widescreen Wonka? hmm....
    ------------------
    "Again we see that there is nothing you can possess, which I cannot take away.."
    My DVD List

15. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

This must've been why the widescreen versions of the Star Wars Trilogy on VHS were $10 more than the P&S versions. It's because Lucas loves money...er, widescreen!

16. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

17. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

18. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    There was an article on the SW site about the P&S'ing of the trilogy. According to that article, Lucas supervised the most recent editions of the SW movies for panning & scanning...but the P&S job is still crap.
    I don't understand why the Fox logo to the first interior scene couldn't be letterboxed...partially because the cropping makes the opening scrool illegible.
    Common folks just skip over credits anyways.
    ------------------
    P.S.: There's no P.S.
    [Edited last by PatrickMcCart on September 01, 2001 at 01:48 PM]