Lucasfilm waiting for HD-DVD for original SW trilogy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Jacobson, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

According to this article Star Wars Eps. IV, V, VI won't be released on DVD because Lucasfilm is planning to wait and release these on HD-DVD.

2. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Hmmm... doesn't matter to me. HD-DVD will be backwards compatible so if all I have to do is buy a new player, I'm in. Just AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T MAKE MY OLD DVD'S WORTHLESS. From what I understand, the companies don't plan on killing DVD, just moving forward (like Dolby Digital to Dolby 5.1).

3. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Nothing more than speculation and wishful thinking. It's funny how some news comes out about two possible standards for a HD-DVD, and all of the sudden threads pop up about DVDs becoming obsolete, Hollywood sucks, and some authors (like the one who has written this article) use it to explain the absence of some popular films on the current DVD format.

Regards,

Dan

4. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

This makes no sense. Lucas knows he will make a killing by putting it out on DVD - and then make another killing when he re-releases it on HD-DVD. To suggest that his motive would be other, would be to ignore the multiple re-releases on video, that he has done so far. George continues to take himself far too seriously.

5. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk

6. Mike Monti

Mike Monti Stunt Coordinator

That article is from back when they were shooting EP 1. If I've learned anything it's that George Lucas changes his mind often, while the situation may still be the same I'll wait for a press release that's given out in the 21st century before accepting it as gospel. [​IMG]
    Mostly I just don't want to have to buy a new system, college is expensive!
    -added a comma for legibility.

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

It's a shame that some people become too "blind" to their cause. HD-DVD is not a couple of years away and I really think this guy is trying to read into something that's not there.

Furthermore, when was Indiana Jones - remastered edition - released on laser disc??!! I thought they cancelled these some time ago. I assume this article is quite old as they are talking about the shotting of Ep. I, as well.

8. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

It annoys me to see speculation posted as "news".

9. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

This article is over two years old. [​IMG]

10. Richard Fairbrother

Folks, let me say this for the thousandth time.

Lucasfilm is busy working on the COMPLETION of the LAST STAR WARS movies EVER to be seen on film at the theater. He does not like to lose artistic control over projects regarding Star Wars.

Therefore, we are all waiting for the trilogy AFTER EP 3 comes out. The DVDs are something that are his babies as much as the movies are. And before you all point out that EP 1 DID get put on DVD, let me say this. The content of the original trilogy is likely to blow away that of EP 1. So are the Lucas trademarks.

I can say that the DVDs ARE being worked on and even prepped in terms of content and likely, the content and proceses of EP 2 and EP3 on DVD will likely influence the content and design of the original trilogy DVDs.

But the proof will be in the pudding. From what I know and have seen, the Trilogy will honestly be Museum worthy. That which, when Archeologists still dig for Indy on DVD in 2202, they will likely find an unopened box set of the Trilogy on a pedestal, somewhere.

At this time, both EP 2 and EP 3 will street likely within a 6 month period of their release (most likely in november) along with the VHS versions.

If for nothing else, with ALL the slams you put against George, why don't you all kiss his ass he didn't offer the Pan & Scan version of the DVD?

Richard

11. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

12. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

13. Richard Fairbrother

DanR,

Dear God, that comment was just a joke regarding the whole situation with the "redo" as in E.T..

From what I know, Lucas knows the fans want it, and furthermore, it's been done. There are existing copies of the DVD. But I'm not sure he's happy with them. He also is still preoccupied with Star Wars.

I'm not sure what they could do to clean it up. It still stands as an amazing piece. Maybe some matting effects, but old effects such a the Angels at the end are superb. Before anyone suggest that the melting Nazis could be more realistic, I doubt with CGI they could, or that it would be better.

A clean print and transfer with 5.1 or 6.1 sound would be great.

By the way, I have gravel from the driveway the Boulder sound was done with. A car mic'ed from underneath being rolled in nuetral with certain enhancements.

Anyone remember who's car that was? That's a nice little trivia question.

Rich

14. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Rich,

So do you think Lucas is waiting to release Indy on DVD fairly soon before Indy 4 to promote it? That's my guess.

15. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Mr. Fairbrother;
    You seem to be in a position to have tons of inside info on Star Wars… I won't bother asking how you happen to have this knowledge, but I was wondering if you know whether or not there's any chance at all that we'll ever see the ORIGINAL, UNSPECIAL EDITION of the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD? Thanks.

16. Larry Gardner

Larry Gardner Stunt Coordinator

Don't you think that by the time Star Wars Trilogy comes out on DVD, that their will be some sort of hi-def DVD technology (either blu-laser or red-laser/MPEG4 or something).

George has stated that he isn't planning on releaseing the trilogy until 2005/2006 after SW I and SW II.

So given the time, this may be feasible from his standpoint.

17. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I agree that that article is old news. I was really worried that this would come to pass when only the VHS for EP 1 came out.

Another possiblity that came up around that same time was to have a machine with the movies hard-wired into it. They wouldn't be on a disk at all, just in memory. You'd switch to the 'Lucas' machine just for his movies.

My opinion on the originals is that we willl never see them again, and I'm wondering if a petition would help. Maybe some serious media coverage. He'd answer that he cannot recover the original footage, or something like that, but at any rate, it is going to piss off a ton of people.

Glenn

18. Andrew Walsh

Andrew Walsh Stunt Coordinator

19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I hear that Indiana Jones himself led the expedition to unearth that ancient article. [​IMG]
    Regards,

20. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

when are people going to finally understand that the originals are not going to ever appear again?