What's new

Luc Besson's Wasabi with Jean Reno DVD? (1 Viewer)

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Hello all, I'm trying to get this movie on DVD, it's out in France on 3rd of July with a DTS track but there are no subtitles.
It's also out in Japan on August 23rd, 5.1 DD but only Japanese subtitles. OL is French and I wonder if there is any DVD release in any country with English subtitles?

Same with Yamakasi, also written by Luc Besson, same exact case with DVDs, French and Japan releases without subtitles.

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also looking for Wasabi with English subtitles. I have the trailer on a French promo disc and it looks like a lot of fun. Also it's nice to have Jean Reno and Eric Serra both involved on a Luc Besson project again (even if he didn't direct it).

However, I can help you with Yamakasi. The Hong Kong edition (Region 0, NTSC) has French soundtracks in both DTS & DD5.1, and English subtitles. Although it doesn't say so on the box, the picture is 2.35:1 anamorphic. Unlike the French edition, there are no extras. The disc looks and sounds good to me, with plenty of surround action on both the score and sound effects. My one reservation is that the subtitles often get out of step with what's being said in the busier dialogue passages.

By the way, although this is a Hong Kong Region 0 disc, my supplier swears that it's not a bootleg. However, if anyone knows otherwise then can the administrator please delete this post.

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
I've now checked with my supplier of the subtitled edition of "Yamakasi" and they don't know of any subtitled edition of "Wasabi".

Gideon Tam

Auditioning
I just got R3 Hong Kong Wasabi from dvdshelf.com. It has French DTS and English subtitle. From the back cover, the picture is anamorphic (don't know the ratio, though).

Even though the cover says it's R3, but I think it's R0, just like many other Hong Kong DVDs.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
I have Yamakasi and Wasabi (HK Versions) coming hopefully by tomorrow from HK. They are not bootlegs but are marketed for R3 (NTSC). And the price differential from getting the French release (which usually doesn't have any english subs over the original language track).. um.. lost my train of thought, have a good weekend.

YANG

Screenwriter
I have both YAMAKASI and WASABI HK release.
The specs for both titles are as follow...

"YAMAKASI"
Released by DELTAMEC HK
ANAMORPHIC WIDESCREEN 2.35:1
DTS5.1 FRENCH
DTS5.1 DUBBED CANTONESE
DD 5.1 FRENCH
DD 5.1 DUBBED CANTONESE
ENGLISH or CHINESE subtitles
NO extras

"WASABI"
Released by WINSON ENTERTAINMENT HK
ANAMORPHIC WIDESCREEN 2.35:1
DTS5.1 ORIGINAL FRENCH+JAPANESE LANGUAGE
DD 5.1 ORIGINAL FRENCH+JAPANESE LANGUAGE
ENGLISH or CHINESE subtitles
NO extras.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
WASABI is an entertaining movie. Not spectacular but good enough for a Luc Besson and Jean Reno Fan!! 7.9/10

The R3 IS NOT ANAMORPHIC, even though it states that. DTS! and the pictures is pleasantly clean and the colors are nicely done.

Haven't seen Yamakasi saki yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks