Lsi 15 or Lsi 25?????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AhsanR, Jan 18, 2003.

1. AhsanR

AhsanR Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,
    First time post here, well the other week I listened to some Polk Lsi's, and was glad to say I was amazed. The store was selling a 5.1 set with the Lsi15's and LsiFx rears for 3200, which I thought was a fair deal, until I came online to www.acousticsounddesign.com !!!!!
    Now then, my budget is $3500 for speakers, give or take the $500. I'm worried IF I should get a Lsi15 7.1 set, with 4 Lsi 15's and two dipole FX's, or a 5.1 LSi25 set with 2 Lsi25's with two dipole FX's?
    What type of power should I run these babies under? Is 7.1 that big of a deal?
    I have not had a chance to hear the Lsi25 but whats the difference from the Lsi15? If I purchase a seperate subwoofer (SVS likely [​IMG] ) will it matter which speaker has the better subwoofer?
    And one last question, how do you think the Polks stack up against the Axioms, thanks in advance. I'm on a tight tight tight tight budget.

2. BrianSmith

BrianSmith Stunt Coordinator

Want to save more money?
    Try out www.rocketloudspeakers.com They use the same tweeter as the Polks, cost less, look better, and sound great (according to others).
    I have a pair on order.
    -Brian

3. AhsanR

AhsanR Stunt Coordinator

Thing is brah, I haven't heard the Rocekts...... and on AVS, someone had mentioned that the Polk Lsi series had outperformed the Rockets in HT.

4. AhsanR

AhsanR Stunt Coordinator

Personally, if someone has done an A/B test on the Polks V Rockets, that would be very interesting. They book do have very similar characteristics.

5. AhsanR

AhsanR Stunt Coordinator

BTW, the Rocket set if I added tax in does cost more than the Polks, but I haven't ruled out the Rockets completely, I am just trying to play the game safe here.

What do you guys who own the Rockets think? Do they sound similar to Lsi's? How's the Bass extension?

6. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

I got my Polk LSi setup (25's, C, FX,) from Acoustic Sound Design and couldn't be happier. For about $2600 you simply cannot do better in a speaker package. I've heard the 15's are great too.

7. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

AhsanR,
    I have the Lsi's and recommend them to everyone, For MY money and MY ears they are the best choice. No I've never heard the Rockets, so I cannot offer an opinion on them. Here's a link you might find interesting. http://www.onhifi.com/product.shtml
    As for setting up a 7.1 system, it is definetly worth it. There are a lot of people that will tell you that there are no movies with a 7.1 soundtrack, which is true. But, there are some DD-ES and DTS-EX titles out and there are sur to be more in the future. Most if not all &.1 receivers/pre-amps can offer up a great matrixed rear sound using various surround modes (Neo, Logic 7, DSP modes, etc.) I say go for it!

8. BrianSmith

BrianSmith Stunt Coordinator

Any Rocket owners want to chime in? Surely someone has compared the Polks and Rockets?

-Brian

9. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit

10. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Acoustic Sound Design only warranties the Polks through them. The factory warranty doesn't apply. =(

11. bruin

bruin Second Unit

Can someone who owns a Polk Lsi speaker try replacing the tweeter with the VIFA 1" XT? The tweeters used by the Lsi's and Rockets look the same, I wonder if it sounds the same too. OR, if LSi and Rocket users can open up their speakers and check if there is a sticker...

If they do use the VIFA XT tweeter then...i'm just really curious as to how some speakers end up costing more. The parts including the x-over, which can be bought and made, are really the differences IMO. But the application may be different.

So if any of you LSi or Rocket users check out your tweeters' brand or try putting in a VIFA XT tweeter for kicks please post your conclusions

12. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit

FYI - The tweeter in the Rockets is the Vifa XT25TG-30. I can take a picture of it if you like [​IMG]