What's new

LSAT and part time Law School (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Any advice for an Electrical Engineer interested in going to Law School part time?

My ultimate goal is to be a Intellectual Property Lawyer. I think I have the critical thinking, analytical skills and technical background. I don't know about writing though :b but I can easily improve that.

Truth is, I don't quite know why I want to do this, I need a goal (don't laugh) and that seems the most appealing.

I don't think I want to do the MBA thing, but I might change my mind again... what I do know is that I will not be an electrical engineer 5 years from now.

Anyone in the field with some advice?

--
Holadem

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
There's a great deal waiting for you. How would you like living in the DC area? Get a job with the USPTO as an examiner in an "art group" that uses your engineering background. http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/ac/.../jobs/jobs.htm They will then pick up the tab for you to attend law school part time while working for them. Heck GW law school even teaches some of the classes right there in the PTO: how's that for a commute? And after working as an examiner for xx years, they WAIVE the requirement to take the "patent bar" exam (approx. 30% pass rate :eek: ). Law firms like to hire patent attorneys with experience as an examiner. Based upon trial tests, what's your expected LSAT percentile?

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
I'd second what Dennis said. My friend is an examiner with the PTO and they are flipping the bill for his law degree at Catholic University in DC but will cover any law school in the area. They will also cover an advanced degree too. The pay is pretty good too. They are begging for EE/CompE/CS examiners and will even give a sign on bonus equal to 12% of your starting salary.

I tried to get on board with PTO but for a biology major they want masters degrees to start. Guess there's enough bio people wandering the streets these days. Engineers can start with a BS degree.

On a side note...
He was telling me that a former co-worker of his left PTO after getting his law degree, got hired by one of the big firms in DC and is making big $$. Apparently that firm was putting out offers for 140k to start and applicants were turning them down!

Jeff

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
$140K is about right to start as a EE patent attorney in a law firm...[rant]but[/rant] be aware of how much work they will expect out of you. It's sort of like working two jobs. I put up with firms for 4 years before becoming inside patent counsel for a small semiconductor firm. But then again I started law school in my 40's - it's probably easier to deal with firms if you are younger.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
I've actually considered going back to school for an engineering degree. It seems that a lot of people (either here or folks I've known) get burned out of engineering type work after a few years. I wonder why??

I've also thought about giving law school a shot.

Jeff

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Dennis, US citizenship is required for that position :frowning: (I am resident)
--
Holadem

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks