Lowther Speakers?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by John S, Jun 23, 2005.

1. John S

John S Producer

A friend just emailed me all excited about purchasing 2 pair of these. When I wrote back telling him I was not familure at all. He wrote back that he was very surprised I had not heard of them.

Anybody have experience with them?

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Hi-end, single driver, full range, horn loaded...

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Never heard of them either. Look kinda ugly/plain, like Radio Shack Optimus speakers... Full range drivers with a twist - I didn't read about the design, but they look interesting, and look at that 102dB sensitivity for a single driver!

Sensible Sound review said they sounded very good, but specifically commented "These are not for everyone".

Not horn loaded - they use some kind of whizzer cone.

4. Mark--M

Mark--M Stunt Coordinator

Their specs are kinda funny. They rate one of their 6" drivers as having a response down to 30Hz, yet they say the maximum excursion is +/-1mm! Sorry but there is just no way a 6" driver with 1mm excursion is going to do anything at 30 Hz.

Just going out on a limb here, but I bet they sound like crap. There have been claims by companies in the past that idealy all sound should come from one driver, but obviously that is not the case in the real world considering basicly all speakers are at least 2-way and often 3 or even 4.

5. John Garcia

John
    The reason for a single driver is no crossover, which can make for extremely smooth response. Many vintage speakers are single driver and sound great. I don't see why a 6" driver could not hit 30Hz, but it probably is really dropping off by that point, more like -6dB not -3dB.

They offer a money back guarantee if you don't like them.

6. John S

John S Producer

Thanks.. definetly more known by many than me.

I guess I will get to hear them in the next couple of weeks anyways. Single full range drver aye? I am skeptical about them. But will of course keep an open mind.

7. Paul Guidry

Paul Guidry Auditioning

Lowther is big in the single driver world. They're usually very efficient and paired w/ tube equipment. The drivers alone can be $600. I've never gotten to hear them but have built a tube pre-amp that sounds sweet. They're more oriented to music than HT.

8. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Also, they are best used for low level classical, jazz, vocals, etc.

The Industrial/Goth/Trance/IDM 3 hour jam fest I had today on my Klipschies would have left the poor Lowther's in smoke [​IMG]

I am sure with the right music, right setup, and right preferences, they are awesome.

Even with my music tastes, I would enjoy playing with a pair - but NOT AS MY MAIN SPEAKERS!

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

The use of a single driver is an attempt to reproduce the audible spectrum without the use of crossovers and additional drivers. Regretfully, in an attempt to do so, the single driver approach does nothing especially well as is evidenced by its abysmal and ragged frequency response as well as other distortions. They seem best suited to hobbyists who enjoy working with wood and not with science. Just my opinion.

10. Kenneth Harden

Wow, I would like to see what happened if that was posted on the single driver site!!! [​IMG]

In defense of the 'ragged frequency responce' - if it SOUNDS GOOD, thats whats important, not the lab bench measurements.

11. John Garcia

John

Isn't that what Bose says? [​IMG]

I sort of agree though. Speakers are a personal preference, and some people will like the way the Lowthers sound. Chu is probably right too, hobbyists are the most likely candidates for a speaker like this.

12. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Doesn't Hsu follow the same approach with the sattelites in that little HT kit? And there're several DIY designs using the TB full-rangers.

Means to an end - reproduce music into the room. Beautiful simplicity is often sweet sounding.

13. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I try not to pull too many punches Kenneth. No highs no lows applies reasonably well to the single driver approach. One of the reasons, as I see it anyways, that people match them up with SET's is to attempt to correct their deficiencies with a high output impedance amp along with a healthy dose of THD. Like putting perfume on a crack-whore. Just my opinion though [​IMG]

14. Kenneth Harden

LOL!!!!!!

I like the perfume analogy.

What I posted is it was good for vocals, jazz, and such, stuff that lacks dynamics and extreme highs and lows.

I listen to a lot of music that uses vast amount of low bass and high frequencies, and a full range driver wouldn't work.

Not defending them, just trying to present their little niche, be it good or not (sound).

If anything, it is interesting to see how much sound you can get out of such a small driver!

15. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well it's horn loaded, no? For some measurements of various drivers, read the 6Moons article which talks about Nelson Pass' First Watt amp. I wouldn't post my thoughts in one of their forums for the same reason one doesn't post about conventional medical treatment in a homeopathic forum. Just too many believers.

16. John Garcia

John
    Did you see those crazy cabinet internal constructions? Insanely complex transmisison line setups.

They call it a horn, but it's still a wizzer cone to me. [​IMG] The idea behind the phase equalizer seems like a great idea. It's a fancy phase plug, that matches the wizzer, sorry; horn, profile, and I'll bet it works. I would expect these to sound pretty good actually; at least in the mid.range. Probably not going to be my cup o' tea.

17. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Some call them phase plugs but they kind of look like vibes. Remember when Stern used to have the women lay the speakers on their backs and sit on the woofer?

[​IMG]

18. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

19. Marc LaPalme

Marc LaPalme Agent

actually those kinds of speakers are perfect for the room where its only gonna be two channel stereo (kitchen, garage, bathroom.) paired up with a nice warm amp... they can sounds amazing if set up right.

like some said. live jazz and strings is where these speakers shine. i would probalby do away with the phase plug though and go with the plain compressed pulp dustcap.

oh yeah baby... that's string quartet heaven right there!