Lowry Digital Targets Wizard of Oz for Next Project

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris Farmer, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Link

It's at the very end of the article. While heavily full of Apple spin, it's at least slightly worth a read. Most interesting though is the last line where Lowry talks about what he'd like to do next

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Didn't some pro. restorers think Lowry was only as good as the direction the studio dictated on a project? If the studio had the wrong information on how the film should look, then Lowry proceeded to screw things up (like over filtering Citizen Kane to the point of deleting rain)?

Wasn't it Mr. Harris that said something to that effect?

Perhaps Lowry Digital Images isn't what it's totally cracked up to be.

Raiders was far from perfect, especially in color timing. The flesh tones were off, noticeably. Others have commented on this too.

Dan

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

5. Adam Lenhardt

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Neat article... although, I still wish that a list would come out so we'd know which DVD's have the LDI processing.

Digital restoration has really come a long way... after seeing their restoration of Casablanca, I think they can do wonders for films without prime elements. However, it needs to be restored for FILM first. A 2K or 4K restoration is useless for a film unless new film elements are created from it.

7. AndrewR

AndrewR Stunt Coordinator

Andrew Rubio
    I'm gaining a serious interest in Film Restoration lately. Anyone have any ideas as to how to pursue this as a career?

Andrew

8. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Andrew,

I have a buddy who works at the Motion Picture Film Preservation Center for the Library of Congress. If you like, I'll see if it's okay to send you his email address. I got hooked up with them through Mr. Harris several years back and spent a lovely year volunteering in their vaults. It was dirty, smelly, and cold and I loved every second of it. You might contact RAH as well as he's always very helpful. I'll warn you ahead of time; the jobs are few and far between and getting scarcer. It's a very specialized field and difficult to break into. Good luck, though. I salute your desire!

9. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    I'll be graduating from Brigham Young University this upcoming April with a BA in Media Arts (Film), with an emphasis in critical studies. My main interest in film for the last 7 years has been archival, restoration, and preservation. Over the last six months I've contacted a good 10-15 people in the field trying to evaluate the work situation. Quite frankly, I've been rather put off by the brush offs and intelligence insulting responses. The majority of them were not even what I would be considered curteous (RAH was not one of the people I've contacted). Just recently I've decided that if such is the relationship amongst these people then I'd rather find a completely different career. Their loss, I say. It just frustrates me that, for example, one individual was quicker to label my email address "unprofessional" instead of answering a few simple inqueries. Of course, his assumption was completely wrong, since my email uses my film label name....

Anyway, in summary, perhaps I'll look into this career again, but not after I get this bitter taste out of my mouth.

10. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Wow, Brandon! That's too bad. I guess I got lucky that I was able to hook up with the right folks. The people I got to know at the Library of Congress were super-nice and very passionate about their work.

Anyway AndrewR, check your private messages.

11. Kristoffer

Kristoffer Second Unit

Ok, do they create a new master, but not restsore the film print itself? So the restored version only "exsits" on the dvd??

12. Adam Lenhardt

13. AndrewR

AndrewR Stunt Coordinator

Andrew Rubio
    I got your PM, Brian.

Thanks again!

Andrew