What's new

Lowest Bass Track?? ToyStory2?? (1 Viewer)

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I'm not sure I agree with him Chris. I've seen and heard nothing like Titan AE. I don't have a copy of the Haunting to play on my own system, but I've heard it on a Contrabass, so I've heard it properly played. I think Titan AE has more low frequency energy.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
He does qualify it with I know of/I've heard. He may not of seen Titan A.E. or any other movie that bests The Haunting. I was just putting it out there. I haven't heard/seen either movie

Eric_Strickl

Stunt Coordinator
The Perfect Vision reviewer Robert Harley says that, ..."the most difficult subwoofer torture test I know of: Chapter 17 of the DTS-ES version of The Haunting. This passage, which contains the highest-level/lowest frequency energy of any DVD I've heard,..."
I could not agree more! I saw this film in the theater and you could hear their sub bottom out for about 5 seconds and then you could hear it just ripping itself apart!!! Hmm I know what I am doing tonight (or renting that is). I have been trying for the past week to see what the limits are on my b15(if any).

The bass on monster inc also gets my seal of approval. The part with the sock makes my heart skip a beat every time.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
When a friend of mine first installed his SVS setup, we used both Haunting DTS as well as Titan AE in DTS. Both are pretty close in terms of overall low end but in my mind Haunting DTS is the sure fire winner. We didn't measure at the time so I'm sure someone will try to prove me wrong.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The Haunting in DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 is still my favorite bass demo disc, although I will say recent releases have closed the gap considerably, including Titan AE in DTS.

The Haunting has unparalleled dynamic range, and a full strength bass signal in all six surround channels. When the sound engineers were mixing the DTS version, they were so worried about destroying wimpy surround speakers in movie theaters that they developed a special program to redirect surround bass to the LFE channel below a certain frequency!

The vocals and music track on The Haunting is mastered fairly quietly, so the viewer is encouraged to wick up the volume pretty high. This can be a large mistake if your sub is not up to the task! The Chapter 10 "Creaking Pipes" opener (better known as the "Coming Mother" scene) will have you running for the remote when the first full blown "door knock" hits! The door knocks have strong bass starting at 25 Hz and peaking extremely loud at around 45 Hz.

"The Cold" scene a moment later has an extended and loud 22 Hz note (replete with equally loud 2nd and 3rd order harmonics) that is fabulous when done properly on a good sub. This scene can blur your vision and completely pressurize the room if you crank it loud enough.

There is other very strong and deep bass (some of it subsonic) throughout the remainder of the DVD, including when the bedroom attacks, when the ghost chases her down the hall, and of course the finale.

The bass in The Haunting is my favorite because it is very clean, loud, deep, and integrated extremely well into the movie. It is truly a reference quality demo disc, not only for the bass, but for the surround channels. The DTS-Es Discrete version is a must own for any HT buff.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews2/haunting.html

http://dvdmg.com/hauntingdts.shtml

http://www.widescreenreview.com/toda...unt062800.html

Regards,

Ed

Finding Nemo will probably have low bass like they had in the movie theater in some scenes. I agree about the Fight Club airplane sequence it scared my brother when he was 2 at the time when my uncle finally setted up the 5.1 channel on the receiver and it sounded different and louder than before
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
. Die Another Day DTS has some low bass.

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
The Haunting DTS is KING!

EP1 LD a second close blows the dvd outta the water

Titan AE is sick also

TS2 of course intro scene

Fight Club airplane scene and bombs at the end going off DROP

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Moved to HT Software & merged with duplicate thread. In the future, use only one thread. Thanks

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
I found the bass in From Hell to be really low. The intro really rattled my place. Star Wars: EpI and LOTR: Fellowship were my next faves.

I didn't find TS2 that good, but again I haven't had the opportunity to listen to it loudly. Hmmm. Be right back, must play loud now :)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Edward J M's post above. "The Haunting" DTS-ES scared the piss out of me the first time I watched it(the bass that is, not the movie itself). This has to be the undisputed king of bass on DVD right now. I have an SVS 20-39 PC+ and I seriously thought my walls were going to cave in when I cranked this disc. It's ridiculous how low this track goes in certain scenes. Too bad the movie is such a piece of crap, but the bass is without peer.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. I used to think I could not top Toy Story 2 for a bass demo, but that was before I picked up The Haunting in DTS. Holy #*$#! This is definitely the deepest and most powerfull bass I've ever heard on a film ever. Not only did it sound good, but it truly can just be felt in your gut. The sound mix in general is amazing too. It really puts you within the house, with great use of the surrounds. Contrary to many, I found the film to be fairly good. It isn't trying to be an oscar worthy film, but rather a film that is just terribly fun to watch. Also, I think the sound mix and sets are just too incredible to miss. Why can't studios do what Dreamworks did here and make some DTS only DVD's with mixes this good! Oh, and kudos to Gary Rydstrom for the sound design.

AJG

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Here's one that is from way out of left field, Criterion's DVD of Peter Weir's The Last Wave (1977) features a fairly nice DD 5.1 remix which is highlighted in a sequence at the very beginning of the film involving a school in the Australian bush that is hit by a freak hail storm that has some shockingly low bass.

I just watched the opening battle in Fellowship Of The Ring and the scene where the shockwave occurs made my subwoofer make a rattling sound and shook the room and went all the way to the kitchen my grandma commented :eek:. I just tried it out on maximum for the first time on this disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks