What's new

Lowest Bass Track?? ToyStory2?? (1 Viewer)

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe you can't hear it, but I can. I have both the dvd and the ld. The ld exceeds the dvd by far in low level ambiance. I always thought the dvd sounded great until I heard the ld. The same goes for the SPR dts dvd vs the dd ld.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
All I'm saying is that I don't see an objective basis for these subjective impressions. I trust Roy's methodology. He clearly shows the difference, for example, between the first DTS DVD release of Jurassic Park and the corrected version.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I always liked Das Boot and U-571 for good, deep bass. (The depth charge scenes.) But I don't know what the specifics of either are, either... :)

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
Althou I've got Das Boot, but not got round to watching it yet. There's just not enough hours in a day.

I've got some waterfall plots of U-571, depth chargedOff hand, there is 20hz (and below )deep bass but the deep bass is not loud. Worse, it gets overshadowed by mighty booms in the 30-50hz region. It will make all subs sound similar since bulk of its energy is concentrated amongst where all subs are designed to be impressive: in the 30-40hz region. Deeper going subs not really gonna show their prowess here, but bass connoisseurs will still be able to tell the better sub amongst the worser ones.

Look for it in the waterfall thread.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Armand, the LD just has a bassy warmth to it over the DVD audio track even at low volume levels. Of course, it's been over a year since I played either, but my memories were more fond of the LD's audio, objective data or not. :) For all I know the 8-9dB different could be having an effect on the headroom of my amp driving my speakers. Either way, in a perfect world, I'd want the LD's audio mated to the DVD's video for a theatrical cut of TPM.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I agree with Patrick and Armand. I actually just spun both the Phantom Menace LD and DVD this last weekend and adjusted for volume like Bjoern suggest. I know what his graphs show, but I agree that the LD just has a better sound, not that the dvd is a slouch, but the LD just is a notch above.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Brotherhood Of The Wolf has some wicked low bass. Check out that scene where the young girl is stuck in the pond. Ouch!

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Superman The Movie has so LOOOOWW bass...when the explosion on the fault line happens...whoa!

Jon D

Stunt Coordinator
Toy Story 2 is a reference bass disc, but it is hugely overshadowed by one of Gary Rydstrom's other sound designs: The Haunting (funny nobody mentioned it). Bass down to 10 Hz (and usually lower), including at least two instances where high intensity subsonic tones rip through the room (very unnerving). The sequence near the end where Nell's bedroom comes alive is fucking brutal on a subwoofer, as the LFE is running full out with massive subharmonic bass through most of the scene, often hitting 100 Db or higher well below 20 Hz. This is the one and only scene that overpowers my SVS enough to cause the amp to shut down temporarily. This movie is 4 years old but nothing has topped it for subterranean bass. U-571, BHD, and LOTR all have impressive moments, but none of them have this kind of rafter ripping intensity.

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
ive got powered svs 39".. do i need to worry at all about scenes like that? i dont know if my denon 1803 would cut out for safety

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Kyle: just make sure your speakers are set to SMALL so the SVS takes care of the LFE duties and you will be fine. Setting speakers to SMALL says "..let the self-powered sub handle things below 120 hz..".

When The Matrix DVD first came out, the lobby shoot-out scene caused a LOT of otherwise capable receivers to shut-down. The many minutes of low-frequency special effects drew lots of current causing over-heating.

The opening chapter of Toy Story 2 (TS2) is great because it has low-frequency effects right at the begining of the movie. It's great for carrying around for demos.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I always found Sauron's exploding shockwave at the beginning to be pretty damn impressive.

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
I believe, without a doubt, "The Haunting - DTS", is your winner. It rattles the walls AND floors like no other movie is capable of - yet! If I'm testing a new sub IC or PC, that's the movie I'll play. It's Chapter 11, I believe, when all hell breaks loose ;)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
When you guys are talking about Phantom Menace comparisons, are you comparing the DD track on the LD to the DD track on the DVD?

I ask because the PCM stereo track on the LD is really overcooked when it comes to heavy bass, at least to my ears. It's one of the few cases where I actually prefer a DD track to a PCM track on LD.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
The Perfect Vision reviewer Robert Harley says that, ..."the most difficult subwoofer torture test I know of: Chapter 17 of the DTS-ES version of The Haunting. This passage, which contains the highest-level/lowest frequency energy of any DVD I've heard,..."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks