What's new

Lowest Bass Track?? ToyStory2?? (1 Viewer)

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
I was told that TS2 has the lowest bass track on dvd... is this true? is there anything lower? even on a demo/setup disc?

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Jurassic Park 3 and Haunting DTS all sounded much lower to me.
There may have been one scene that got low but the movies I mentioned seem consistenly lower.

Doug

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Close Encounters of the Third Kind DTS (rumbly)
The Phantom Menace laserdisc (should be called the subwoofer menace)

-Lyle J.P.

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator
Correct Lyle it's a menace indeed. But not only for your subwoofer(s) also for my neighbours.:D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Because that's how the LD's 5.1 track sounds - loud, low and mean! The DVD's 5.1 track isn't as loud, low and mean.

I think the Haunting dts DVD had some high amplitude bass in the 5-10 Hz range, which is nutty!

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I would suspect Fellowship of the Ring would have to be close to the top of the "lowest bass ever" list.

Dan.B

Jon Moss

Stunt Coordinator
Completely out of left field, but the 5.1 track on the Criterion Beastie Boys video collection has insane levels of subwoofer bass!!

I won't even dare select the 5.1 audio for fear of my speakers blowing! ;)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Go here, Ming has worked up some excellent waterfall charts of popular deep bass passages.

I would say the "exploding ball" Cavalcade THX trailer in SW-AOTC and the similar trailer in T2 are front runners with strong content in the 10-15 Hz region.

The Irene chopper lift off in BHD has strong content at 5 Hz, so that one is in the running too.

And you are correct, at 3:14 mark of the T2 theme there is a huge hit of subsonic bass.

Ed

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=144887

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Haunting DTS is frighteningly low. It is the one film I have ever had trouble with my sub bottoming out on. This is the KING(of what I have heard)
Now if Hulk has the kind of bass on DVD as it did when I saw it theatrically, then there may be a new subwoofer menace.

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
ps. what site has the japanese 3disc DTS BHD, the us is only DD, and i checked poker industries, HK Flix... and Sazuma only has the US version.

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
i read on another thread that Black hawk down went to nearly 5hz, only thing is i am trying to find the Japanese version (region no prob) because its got a DTS on the 3 disc SE.

i checked poker, sazuma, and HKFLIX.... no dice

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
Haunting DTS is frighteningly low
It is by far the lowest that I own, and unlike the other movies mentioned, the ultra-low bass is pretty much constant through the entire movie.

I bought it JUST to use as a DEMO, since the movie is pretty terrible. Actually, the cinematography,set design and music is outstanding. The acting and plot is... well...

Tron also had alot of low bass. Almost too much though. It seemed out of place (like LOTR:FOTR)

-nick

DarrellP

Stunt Coordinator
Another good one: Blade II, Chapter 10; The Rave scene. A couple of clips here really rock the rafters.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The thing about Toy Story 2 is not just the low bass, but the amplitude (loudness) of that low bass and it is a true test for a subwoofer. The thing is though that some subs have high pass (subsonic) filters that do not allow the very low bass to get to the sub, thereby protecting it. Some subs may seem to not have trouble with the opening of Toy Story (with the logo flying onto the screen) because of this.

There are a few others that have "sub killing" bass like Titan AE for instance.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
But, RobertR, the DVD and the LD of TPM are different cuts of the "same" film, where the LD is the theatrical cut, while the DVD version has some changes to it. While, yes, the LD has a hotter audio track, I've never had the DVD sound as robust (even jacking up the volume) as the LD sounds.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The thing about Toy Story 2 is not just the low bass, but the amplitude (loudness) of that low bass
Yeah, the part when Buzz Lightyear (at the beginning) turns on his thrusters, it's like a punch in the face :emoji_thumbsup: I'm not going to argue what's louder, but Toy Story 2 definitely has some kickin bass in it.

Oh yeah, and how about the Toy Story logo animation at the beginning, that was rockin too!

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I know the DVD is a slightly different cut of the film, Patrick. It's reasonable to assume that Bjoern Roy compared portions of the film that are identical (it would hardly make sense to compare different scenes). I simply don't see a significant difference in the response curves on the page I referenced. Roy recommends turning the volume up by 9 dB for the DVD. Did you turn it up that much? I have heard both the LD and the DVD, by the way, and I can't honestly say the LD is more robust.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks