Low volume on HK 325

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by brandon*b, Aug 22, 2003.

1. brandon*b

brandon*b Extra

I recently purchased an HK 325. I have to turn it to about 1/2 way (-40db) to have it at a comfortable listening position and nearly all the way for it to be somewhat loud. This is in the stereo mode. Is this normal? Is there any settings that may cause it to perform like this.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

That's normal...

It's complicated math, but the closer you get to 0db, the louder each notch will be. -30 it 2x as loud as -40, -20 is 2x louder than -30, etc.

My AVR110 kicks in nice with my speakers at -22, and I'll almost never exceed -12, even with The Who.

3. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

Brandon -

Other possibilities:

(1) You're going deaf
    (2) Your speakers are highly inefficient
    (3) Acoustic gnomes installed highly absorbtive materials inside your speaker covers
    (4) You forgot to remove your earplugs

[​IMG]

All jokes aside (except #2, which is a slight possibility), is this the first receiver you've had that has the "-dB" scale? This was the case for me with my recent purchase of a Yamaha HTR-5660. I was used to other scales going from 0-25 or something...so having the maximum amount being 0dB really threw me off. Your AVR has an attenuator that limits amplification. As you turn the knob towards "louder," the attenuator allows more power/amplification. The 0dB point is where the attenuator is doing nothing -- and this is where your receiver has its maximum power output.

Anyways, it's normal for the amount of perceived (and probably actual) volume to seem compressed towards the 0dB end of the scale. For DVD's, the sweet spot on my receiver/speaker/room combination reads between -35dB and -25dB. For stereo listening it's -40dB to -30dB. I think there's nothing wrong with your AVR. [​IMG]

4. brandon*b

brandon*b Extra

I definitely over-reacted and posted this prematurely. I got the outputs right, found the right sound field, and this thing rocks.

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer