Low Track CDs

Discussion in 'Music' started by MarcusUdeh, Jan 15, 2004.

1. MarcusUdeh

MarcusUdeh Supporting Actor

How does everyone feel about nine, ten, and eleven track CDs? Especially since today’s artist fill their albums with fourteen songs of crap.

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Less is more.

Too many long cds, because a) its possible to put 78 minutes on the disk, and b) some people think quantity is indicative of quality

Should I pay less for shorter cds?

I'll be the Devils advocate, and say, no [​IMG]

If its good, I'll be very happy

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I personally think people put way too much emphasis on song length and CD time. Then again, I'm into prog rock. [​IMG]

Good music is good music. Dreamtheater's CDs, for example, are all really really long and all really really good, so I'm not going to complain about long CDs.

4. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I thoughy someone here was going to talk about Green Carnation's "Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness". One track, 60 minutes.. [​IMG]

Jason

5. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

yeah some tracks shouldn't be too long...like pink floyd

just listened to god speed you black emperor track that was 18 minutes long...

6. MarcusUdeh

MarcusUdeh Supporting Actor

Well Fiona Apple says when she writes ten songs then she's
    done.

Bjork cool artist with low track cds:

U.S. Release DEBUT 11 Tracks
    U.S. Release POST 11 Tracks
    U.S. Release HOMOGENIC 10 Tracks

Btw, what do you all think of interludes and intro(s)?

Janet Jackson has plenty on her biggest albums.

7. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I remember a few "interludes", on a Me'shell Negodecello (sp?) album, and on a Living Color cd. A tribute to Miles Davis or something. Can be quite effective on a well conceived track line-up.

On "oldies" album, where history and mood are being set, and some old "studio chatter" is attached to the track, I generally get irritated. At the least they should put the chatter on a mini-track. (I always thought CD's players hould have menu options to play only the music tracks.)

One thing that irritates me is "bonus" tracks that add no value. I bought one Count Basie CD, of an old LP, with the original program followed by 7 or so "alternate" versions of tunes from the original album. Maybe musicologists would go for that, but it puts me off.

Modern albums loaded with remixes generally put me off too.

I'm not saying there is no such thing as a good long album. I'd love to play the entire Bitches Brew without needing a CD changer [​IMG]

8. Jason Kirkpatri

Jason Kirkpatri Second Unit

Green Carnation's Light of Day, Day of Darkness is excellant!! Well worth listening to if you are into that type of music.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Personally, I like albums with a lot of songs that aren't over 30 seconds long. Check out the album SHORT MUSIC FOR SHORT PEOPLE from Fat Wreck Chords. It has 101 tracks, all of which are 30 seconds long or less.

10. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

yeah, but they are all fat wreck bands.

if you want a cd full of brutal short songs try pig destroyers' 38 counts of battery. its thirty eight songs and if i had to guess id say it clocks in at less than thirty eight minutes.

on the other hand, sunn is equally as brutal but they rarely record a song that is less than ten minutes (of course i bet if you took a pig destroyer song and stretched it out to fifteen minutes it would sound a lot like sunn)

11. Keith Hyde

Keith Hyde Stunt Coordinator

Of course the obvious solution: Reconsider the "artists" (of which there are increasingly fewer these days) and your problem may be alleviated.

Otherwise, more is more. There are a lot of sleepers out there that don't get recognition until years later (and it's always great to be ahead of the curve on that one). Lastly, a little sit-down with your CD burner and you can weed out the bad tunes, make a compilation disc, etc.

What I hate are discs that add crummy "outtakes", "alternate versions", or "intros." Like I want to get into a song only to have it stop abruptly half way through. What the hell?The sign of a truly desperate "artist": dance versions, club mixes, etc. Generally to be avoided at all costs.

12. Sean Cauley

Sean Cauley Stunt Coordinator

I think it depends on the artist and the album. I remember a couple of years ago when Weezer's "green album" was out, I mentioned to a friend that it ran about a half-hour, and he said he couldn't justify paying for an album that short. The thing is, to me, at ten under-three-minute songs, the album comes off feeling "just right," satisfying in itself. If it had had fifteen or eighteen songs, it still wouldn't have been as long (clock-wise) as many other artists' albums, but it would have felt like it overstayed its welcome (to me, at least).

As for interludes and skits, I know they've become de rigeur in hip-hop albums, and they're kind of hit-or-miss, if you ask me. When done right (like on the De La Soul classic Three Feet High and Rising), they're a great thread running through the whole album. When done wrong, they grate.

13. Tony_Woods

Tony_Woods Stunt Coordinator

Agreed. I love that CD. One song, 60+ minutes, never gets boring.

14. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

George Strait has been churning them out over the years, 10-11 songs about four minutes long on each CD, and people keep buying them up. So obviously they're happy with the albums.

15. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

My original Columbia/CBS CD of Pink Floyd's WISH YOU WERE HERE had only two tracks. Side A and Side B.