Low Profile Rear & Sub Suggestions

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by markBallou, Oct 20, 2005.

1. markBallou

markBallou Auditioning

I've got a pair of old Vandersteen 2C's that I've had for years. I've never really driven them well and am investing in a Rotel RSX-1056 A/V Receiver. I'll mostly be running them solo for music, but I want to add a center, rears and a sub to make a complete 5.1 set up for watching films. I plan on getting the Vandersteen center and am looking for an inexpensive pair of low profile rears that can be mounted on stands by the corners of my couch. I'd really like these items to be as small and unobtrusive as possible. I'm thinking along the lines of the RBH MM-4 speakers or maybe some Boston Acoustic Micros (though I can't seem to find stands for these). As for the sub, honestly I'm not really sure. Again though, I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as possible. I don't expect to match the quality of my 2C's. Basically I would be happy finding a nice 2.1 system to add to my Vandersteens, but I'll piece it together if I have to.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

I've heard the RBH's and they are good satellite speakers. I think they're serve you fine.

What kind of sub were you thinking of? RBH makes some good inwall/infloor subs that will do well for music.

Mike

3. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Personally I wouldn't bother with a 5.1 system if you can only place the satellites right next to the couch. This means they will be firing right into your ear(s) and won't be able to form a smooth & cohesive soundfield along with the front channels ("breath properly" is another way to put it [​IMG] ).

And mixing very small speakers with large speakers like your Vandersteens will make forming a half-way believable surround sound field even more difficult. For example, I used to use a pair of Realistic Minimus speakers (the die-cast aluminum ones with 5" woofers/1" dome tweeter) as my rear channels along with my Boston Acoustics bookshelves in the front with 8" woofers and an Infinity 6.5" bookshelf as a center channel......and whenever something flew overhead in a movie, or a sound effect swirled around during playback of surround music, I always knew which pair of speakers was reproducing that effect because of the severe sonic mismatch. Very unrealistic. But if all channels used the Minimus speakers this wouldn't have been a problem.

So a 3.1 system sounds like a better idea to me.

4. markBallou

markBallou Auditioning

Hmm. That's some food for thought Lance. Thanks for the feedback there. This all started when I decided I wanted to juice up my Vandersteens and do them the justice they deserved after almost 15 years of neglecting them. My dealer suggested I just get a Rotel RA-1060 to drive them, integrate that into my old Panasonic AV Surround Receiver & call it a day. Now I'm thinking he might have been on to something. I was just hoping to retire the Panasonic and be able to put something together that would work with the space. Unfortunately I can't really go further back from the corners of the couch. The space just doesn't allow, and I don't want to mount anything on, or in the back walls. Maybe you're right. 3.1 may just be the way forward and in another 15 years I can add some Vandersteen rears.[​IMG]

Not really sure which way to go with the Sub Mike. Maybe I'll stick with all Vandersteen and move into a pure Vandersteen 3.1 environment.