Low Profile 5.0 HT Speaker Set

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by PhilBoy, Apr 13, 2004.

1. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

I have a friend who is looking for a good+ 5 speaker surround package that sounds good for music and flicks, but wants to keep the speaker size to a minimum.

He has a sub and plans to pair them up with a Yamaha receiver.

The 5.0 set should preferably have the necessary wall mount brackets. Figger around $750 US, but available in Canada.

Thanks.

2. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

Look into Energy Take 5.2 system or Energy Encore system. Made in Canada so you should be able to get a good deal on them. Also from the same parent company as Energy are Mirage Omnisats and Athena Micra systems.

Also I think Axiom is in Canada- an online speaker company that I've never heard, but they get great reviews.

3. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

4. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Our shop in Ottawa has the Dahlquist Orbit 5.1A speaker set on at an awesome price right now; $499.00 from the list of $799.00.
    Very pleasant sound over all and the satellite speakers are about the size of a pound of butter. They have a keyway on the back so you can hang them on a screw or they also have a socket to accept wall brackets if you need to tilt or pivot them. It comes with a sub but there's no harm in having two!
    Now, I'm biased because I'm a dealer but I thought they were best bang for the buck at the regular price and I'm positive you won't find anything to rival them at $499.00.
    Please email me if I can answer any questions on them.

5. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

Frank,

You're response seems so confident... but based on my research, the Polks fit the bill.

I actually found a dealer just around the corner from my friend's home and the pricing is right on the money !

Thanks !

Marc H,

I have heard excellent things about Dahlquist, but he wants it fired up this w/e.

What is the name of your shop ? The next time I am in the Ottawa area, I'll look you up. Lovely city. I was born there.

6. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

The Polks drop off at 95HZ.

The Yammy LFE crosses at 90HZ.

Will this be a problem ?

7. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Can the Yamaha's crossover be adjusted to a higher frequency? If not I would consider a speaker that digs a bit deeper or an upgraded receiver.

How about the sub, can you connect the speakers to the line-out on the sub and use crossover in the sub?

8. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

The crossover is fixed at 90 on the 5650.

For connection simplicity I would prefer LFE out for the sub.