Low-Priced HDTVs: Help Please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ethan K, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Ethan K

Ethan K Auditioning

Hi everyone. I am looking into getting a small (about 27 inches) HDTV. I have a very limited budget. I can spend $1000 max. The only tv I have found so far in that price range is a samsung TSL2795HFX. I have always thought of samsung as a "lower end" company. Do you think there will be a noticeable difference in the picture quaulity between this tv and a comparable sony or philips model?

Currently I have a 20" sony trinitron flat screen.

Are there any other models you would suggest?

Thanks!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome to HTF, Ethan. I edited your thread title for greater specificity, which will increase your chances of getting responses.

The newer technology is the way to go, and the Samsung should provide greater performance than the NTSC-only 27-inch Sonys. Progressive scan is always preferable to interlaced scanning.

Princeton Graphics markets a 27-inch HD-capable, 4:3 set, but it may be out of your price range.

I'd spring for the Samsung in your situation.

3. Ethan K

Ethan K Auditioning

Thanks, I'm going to go look at it this week, if they have it at the local sears.

4. TimG

TimG Second Unit

I think most people have the same view of Samsung as you do. But from reading the recent posts on their HDTV ready sets, they are getting a lot of praise.

TimG

5. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

I had the same view of Samsung until I saw one in Bestbuy and proceeded to purchase the TSL3294 (seras model, same as 3295). Blew away every ohter TV my GF and I saw. Was all set to get a Sont KV32fs13 (non HDTV) and I wound up paying roughly same price as that model Sony) Awesome TV especially for the price. People come over and are amazed at how good the TV looks, especially with Progressive DVD. Can't go wrong getting 1.
    Not only was Samsung a (the) pioneer in developing HDTV, they also command very high praise for their computer monitors which are also based on CRT technology. They should no longer be consider low end TV's, just low priced :)

6. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator

Check out the new Samsung TXM2796 at Sears for $800.
    The TSL2795 is last years model. The new models (2796/2797/2798) have lower prices and more features.
    Check out the Samsung website for more info:
    http://www.samsungusa.com

7. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I have the TSL2795, and I'm quite happy with it. The picture quality is amazing -- I don't think I'll ever want to go back to ordinary TV. I got my TV for a bit of a discount, but the price on these TVs is coming down to the point where it should be affordable.

I think the quality on the Samsung is good, but you might want to buy a service plan just in case. The plans ARE about 1/4 the price of the TV, but I personally think its worth it due to the more complex circuitry in the television.

I'd appreciate anyone else's input on this.

8. Ethan K

Ethan K Auditioning

I just want to say thanks to everyone who replied. I think I'm goin hold off on the tv and upgrade my car sound system and try and save for a new car. I don't watch enough tv to warrant spending that kind of money right now. And I'm just a 19 year old (20 next week) in college working part-time, so money isn't abundant. Maybe when I am in a better position to get a hdtv, the price will have dropped some more.

Later