Low priced DVD player with short/no layer pause?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yohan Pamudji, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

Can anybody recommend a DVD player with a very short or, better yet, no layer change pause? I like my cheap Panasonic RV31, but the layer pause is starting to bug me more every time I use it. The lower the price the better. Non-progressive scan, no built-in decoders--just a solid DVD player with no extras that I'd pay extra for but would't use.

Anyone?

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    A friend of mine just got a Sony DVP-NS300B and when I asked him about layer change, he said that there was none. Now you can chalk this up to him being a rookie in the HT world and maybe not knowing exactly what I meant(even after I explained it to him) or you can check out the player yourself and see how it does. He really seems to like the unit though and on sale for $229CAD he felt he could not have done better.

3. James Miller

James Miller Stunt Coordinator

For what it's worth, I've had a Sony 7000 for about three years now and have only seen noticeable (second or less) on maybe 2/400 discs. The others are completely transparent.

So, while this is a discontinued model, and certainly not cheap, it appears that there are now two votes for the Sony line, in this respect.

Now.... I was seriously considering picking up a Panny 31 tonight. (I got a Pioneer 440 over the weekend- need DTS support- and dislike what I perceive as overly obvious scan lines... so was considering swapping it for the Panny) BTW, the Pioneer had a very noticeable but not overly distracting layer change on the only disc I spun from start to stop- Jurassic Park 3.

Please explain the length of layer changes- or any other issues- that dissatisfy you with the Panny. If they are ~1 second or so you probably won't be any happier with the Pioneer. (both sell for $180 at Best Buy)

4. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

James,

The layer pause on my RV31 I would say is about 1 second or so. I haven't timed it so that's not an exact number or anything, but that's about right. 1 second is enough to annoy me though, and the corresponding sound muting that goes with the layer pause is aggravating to me especially on poorly-placed layer changes. Other than that I really like my Panny. I've had no scan line problems, but I also run it in 16x9 to a Sony Wega with auto-squeeze, so YMMV.

I might have to check out the new Sony line. Maybe I can get an SACD-capable player while I'm at it.