low pass filter

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by dan scorpio, Mar 1, 2003.

1. dan scorpio

dan scorpio Stunt Coordinator

do you know where i can get a low pass flter for bass shakers to connect to a receiver?? in toronto?

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Can't you just use the sub out jack ? The signal there is already low passed.

3. DerrickW

DerrickW Stunt Coordinator

Please give us some more details of how this is setup. It is true that the sub out is generally low passed at 80Hz and could be split. Are you looking for adjustability? Are you using an external amp?

4. dan scorpio

yes i am using my sub out from my receiver and then spitting it with a y cable. one to my sub the other to a old 5.1 receiver... from the old reciver to my bass shakers...
    someone said you caan buy a low pass filter that connects to the cable going to my old reciver and it will filter out more lows...like 80hz or you can buy 1 at 100 hz...does anyone know what i mean?

5. DerrickW

there is probably no need to use another 80Hz or 100Hz filter- doesn't the receiver already have an option to LPF at 80Hz? What receiver is this? Especially having a second receiver as your amp you should have some options here.

6. dan scorpio

it is a pioneer 5.1 receiver... it is model 509s
    iam using the sub out.... what is he frequency coming from a sub out line?

7. John H

John H Second Unit

8. DerrickW

Dan,

The sub out is probably crossed over at 80Hz. However, it may feel/sound better to cross over lower. John showed you a filter for 50Hz just like you were asking for. That should work and is cheap, but you won't be able to adjust it. If you buy a cheap subwoofer amp you will be able to adjust the crossover setting and you wouldn't need that second receiver (not sure you're looking for that though). Here is a $99 amp and they have some slightly larger ones for around $130: http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ctGroup_ID=505 Otherwise just go with the FMOD.

9. dan scorpio

thank you derrek and john ....that is the info i needed

10. DerrickW

John has a crazy tactile setup on his bedroom theater, check it out (and a side note- how about some pictures of those transducers and setup?). I'm about to grab some of the blow-out aura bass shakers from partsexpress. I haven't figured out how many or the amps yet (at these prices, probably 4 for each of the two couches, and 2 for the front seats of my car!) With 4 on a couch, I can get a 4ohm load and would want around 100 watts with adjustable gain and crossover. The issue with the plate amps for me is two couches, so I can't get a mono 4ohm load (though I can get stereo 4ohm so I am looking for suggestions on pro amps maybe).

BTW John, I see you got the Halo pre/pro, is it as sweet as the hype? How is that B&K amp holding up compared to those Parasounds you let go? :wink: Why not the matching B&K pre/pro?

11. DerrickW

starting a new thread asking about equalization and active filters for my setup.

12. John H

John H Second Unit