low pass filter w/ aura bass shaker pros

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Keith M., Sep 8, 2003.

1. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Im interested in utilizing my bass shaker pros when apropriate. I dont want them shaking during normal dialogue etc...

Should I use a low pass filter? Which band should I be interested in? Is a 50hz filter the best option?

Any ideas/advice welcomed...

Thanks in advance...

2. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

BTW, Im running them from the LFE out of my Denon 5803. My LFE crossover is set to 80hz...

3. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Thus far the only movie I've had problems with my Bass Shakers with was The Transporter, with a lot of low house-style music.

Denon 1803 crossed at 80hz, bass shakers off a plate amp with the xover at 160hz.

4. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

80hz seems kinda high for tactile feedback...

Anyone using a low pass filter of some kind? Or have you lowered your LFE crossover?

5. dan scorpio

dan scorpio Stunt Coordinator

yes i would like to know to, iam going to buy the 50 hrz low pass...
    i have it running out of the sub woofer cable from my reciver in to a old receiver.... where do i plug it into ? the aux or cd input? then just connect itto my bass shakers?

6. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I have always run my shakers off a plate amp being fed the same LFE signal as my subwoofer therefore using the crossover point set by the receiver (Yam RX-V1) so everything below 90hz is going to the sub and shakers. No problems with shakers responding to anything except what they are supposed to...........
    IMHO... 50hz would be too low for a crossover point for shakers.
    DAN: Yes, you can used an old receiver if you wish..... just run your lfe feed to any channel and set your old receiver output switch to correspond with your input, then run the speaker wire to the shakers. You can run only one side if you wish or split your lfe to feed both channels and run both.....

7. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Hi,

I think parts express has a very easy solution;

50 Hz low pass inline

They have in line RCA connector low pass filters in 50, 70, 100 and up.

Hope this helps
    Scott

8. Thomas J. Coyle III

Thomas J. Coyle III Stunt Coordinator

Hi Keith

Yes, you really need to keep the higher bass frequencies out of the amp driving the bass shakers as sound track music with a lot of deep bass will cause the shakers to respond. Right now I am using the Buttkicker power amp to run my bass shakers until I can get my Buttkicker II hooked up and I have the variable low pass filter at about 45 Hz which keeps most sound track low bass music out of the shakers. I do have a problem now and then with movies like the Transporter and The Italian Job that have an extremely large amount of low frequency sound track bass music.
    Regards,
    TCIII

9. dan scorpio

dan scorpio Stunt Coordinator

thanks guys.. now if i buy the 50 hrz from parts express, they come in a pair, if i connect the 2 together i will get a 25 hrz correct?
    and would this be to low for the shakers?
    because like everone, i only want the shakers to work when there is a explosion or something, not when there is a male talking......