Low overhead issue

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Poehlman, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Mar 8, 2000
    I just moved into a new place with an unfinished basement and would like to take a crack at my first dedicated HT room.
    I have about a 14 X 25 foot space to work with. However, the ceiling is quite low (it's under a sunken livingroom). It measures about 7' from unfinished concrete floor to the above floor joists. Also, there is a I-beam support crossing the space with a mere 6' head room. I think I can minimize headroom loss with my construction.
    I guess I am looking for some examples of low-ceiling HT's... more to keep me inspired, I guess.
    Can anyone recommend a projector that would work well in such a space?
  2. Jim Ferguson

Jim Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

Sep 9, 1998
    I don't have any pictures or anything, but I sure to have a low ceiling. I'm not sure it's even 7'. I'm 5'9" and I can easily touch the ceiling.
    I have a large Barco BG808s mounted to the ceiling. I have to be careful where I walk, as you can imagine. The bottom part of the projector comes down right to about my forehead.
    It's not as bad as it sounds though, since the seating is basically right under the projector, so no one is just going to run directly into it. When you stand up you lean forward a bit, so you're out of harm's way. It is possible to bump it if you're not careful however.
    All in all I'm glad I got a CRT-based projector, even under these difficult ceiling height restrictions. However, it's virtually certain that whatever my next projector will be (hopefully not for a few more years), it will be some kind of smaller digital projector that will fit much closer to the ceiling.
  3. Darren Hunt

Darren Hunt Agent

Jun 16, 2001
    Depending on how well you want to isolate the room from above, you can build your ceiling using the existing jousts, rather than covering the whole thing up with drywall. This is what I have done in my room. I have a higher ceiling then you do (about 8 feet), but I knew putting drywall up would lower it to a level I wasn't comfortable with. I have a dinning room upstairs above it, so I wasn't concerned with the noise transmission going into a bedroom or something similar.
    I ended up putting in some sound absorbtion between the jousts (about 2" of wood/insulation/drywall) and then painting the whole thing black. I also put in 'cross' jousts between the existing jousts to create a box effect or checkerboard look. Within each of these boxes I am placing some sound diffusion blocks. I am in the process of finishing it all off with wood trim along each joust/cross joust to make it visually pleasing. In the end, I have a ceiling that appears to be higher since it is not flat (i.e. drywall) and is also helpful in preventing sound reflections.
    Hope this helps,