Low Hum from TV

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MarkAW, Feb 3, 2004.

1. MarkAW

MarkAW Auditioning

Feb 3, 2004
    Connected my Motorola HDT-100 STB to my Mitsu 65" WS-65809 this past weekend just in time for the Superbowl and now there is a hum coming from the Television's speakers. I've narrowed it down to the DTV inputs on the back of my TV... even with the audio running directly to my receiver and the component outs running to the TV, the hum is there. If I unplug the component cables from the DTV input on the TV, the hum stops. These are not standard cables either, they are a higher-end brand that I got from Circuit City a couple of years ago (have been using them for my DVD Player). Any ideas on what could be causing this? Perhaps I need better cables? Maybe it's in the HDT-100? Any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer

May 9, 2002
    Cameron Yee
    Sounds like it could be ground loop. Leave the component connection but disconnect the coax feeding the Motorola. If the hum is still there it is likely ground loop. You can pick up a ground loop isolation transformer from Parts Express or seek out the improper ground in your antenna (assuming it is an outdoor one).