What's new

Low end receiver with new speakers (1 Viewer)

Jason Co

Second Unit
I am expecting my new axiom m50's tomorrow. I will be hooking them up to my Sony STR-DE 545 receiver (rated 100 watts per channel) I am going to eventually upgrade my receiver but I have to wait until I get the cash flow. What should I be concerned with, watch out for (clipping etc.) so I don't trash my new speakers running them off a lower end receiver. I will be setting the system up this weekend so any help is greatly appreciated.

Jason

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I don't think you have anything to worry about, just make sure the speaker wires are on firmly. I use to run my Divas 6.1's, C3 and 2.1's with a Sony STR-DE845 and never had a problem.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
You should be fine as long as you don't crank it too loud. What's the efficiency rating of the new speakers, as compared to your old ones? Unless they're VERY inefficient you shouldn't have a problem.

KJP

Jason Co

Second Unit
Kevin P? From Manchester NH? I too am originally from Manchester. What are the odds we know each other?
Here's the specs on the speakers.

Axiom M50ti
Max Amp Power 200 Watts
Min Amp Power 10 Watts
Freq Resp+/-3db (Hz) 39-22K
Freq Resp +3dB/ -9dB (Hz) 29-22K
SPL in Room 1w/1m 93 dB
Anechoic SPL 1w/1m 89 dB
Impedance 8 Ohms
Woofer Dual 6.5"
Tweeter 1"
Dimens. (in.)(HxWxD) 35.5x9.25x13
Weight 37 lbs

Maybe you can explain the difference between Anechoic SPL and SPL in room.

J

Ben Jordan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
Jason,

In almost the exact situation you were in, when my Axiom M50's came in, they were hooked up to my old JVC receiver. Didn't turn them up very high, and they didn't sound as nice as I was expecting. Girlfriend even said they sounded "muffled" -- so needless to say, I ended up getting a Onkyo reciver from CC later that night. They sound a LOT better now, and I'm really enjoying them!

David Ison

Stunt Coordinator
An anechoic room is dead,that is it kills all reflections and does no sound re-inforcement that a "live" room does.
At 93 db and 100 watts , your system should be able to play very loud indeed.

james e m

Second Unit
My advice is don't do it! I ruined a Paradigm CC-370 and a Mini Monitor buy using my crappy Sony 100 watts pc (yeah right) receiver. :angry: The salesmen was kind enough to exchange them for me, but my ht laid dormant for 3 months before I bought a better receiver. It's not worth the risk if you ask me.
James

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Max Amp Power 200 Watts
Min Amp Power 10 Watts
SPL in Room 1w/1m 93 dB
Anechoic SPL 1w/1m 89 dB
Impedance 8 Ohms
You should be fine. These are reasonably efficient speakers and won't tax your receiver too hard. Just don't crank it too loud; Sony receivers (especially the DE line) tend to be over-rated in terms of actual output power. Don't be surprised if it clips at 30-40 watts, which can cause speaker damage.
Now if the speakers were 4 Ohms or had an in room efficiency of under 89 dB then I'd be concerned, but you should be ok for now. You'll probably want to make a new receiver or amp your next upgrade to get the most out of your new speakers though!
KJP

Jason Co

Second Unit
Well I pretty much solved my issue. I called Chris at 6ave and ordered a Denon 3802. Should be here next week then I will preceed to shatter my house.

Kevin I grew up in Manch. I go back every summer, actually I was there last week for vacation with the fam.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks