What's new

Low-end Receiver suggestion? (1 Viewer)

Matthew WR

Auditioning
I am looking for a receiver for a living room "theater".
Any suggestions for receivers that meet the following requirements?

- Around $200 (+/-)
- 5.1 only (Dolby & DTS) (6.1 not needed due to room constraints)
- Pro Logic II
- S video switching (don't need component)
- sub out
- enough power for a 26'x 16' room
- A-B speaker switch (will play secondary speakers (on deck)only without playing the living room speakers

Any suggestions?

BobMcN

Grip
U-Bid has refurbished Onkyo TSXR500 HT receivers for less than $200. Go there and search on "Onkyo.

Enjoy,
Bob

Jonathan_D

Stunt Coordinator
You might take a look at the Panasonic SA HE100. I'm not sure about the A/B switch, but it satisfies most of the rest of your criteria, has gotten good reviews for what it is and can be had in the $240 range (maybe cheaper if you hunt).

Matthew WR

Auditioning
although they don't appear to have the a-b speaker selection, anyone konw much about the lower model Sherwood receivers...like the 7108 or 8108?

I'll have to check out tha Panasonic and onkyo

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
You have seen the Receiver Comparison Chart at the top of this fourm? The receivers are sorted by price just to let you see what you get/dont get based on price.

The first receiver that gives you SVideo switching is about $300 (based on SRP).

GregLee

Stunt Coordinator
The "receiver selection chart" is not very comprehensive at the low end, and doesn't give street prices. The Pioneer DSX711 or equivalent Radioshack RCA STAV-4090 meet your criteria. The 4090 was $250 last I checked, but I saw some mention of a coupon at the Radioshack web site, which might bring it down a little.

I don't know what you want the speaker AB switching for, but my RCA STAV-3990 has the constraint that when the B speakers are switched on, you get sound through only the two front A speakers. If that doesn't suit you, you ought to check that whatever receiver you settle on doesn't have this limitation.

Matthew WR

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies. The reason for the A/b switching is because I want to be able to drive speakers in another room (b room) while having the ability to have the A room speakers either on or off. The other room is actually a deck. I assume when manufacturers say a-b switching that there will be an extra set of speaker terminals on the back for a "B room". right?

As of right now, my leaders are the Panasonic SA-HE100K, the Pioneer VSX-D711, and the Kenwood 6050. Anyone have thoughts on how these 3 compare? Thanks,

MR

GregLee

Stunt Coordinator
I think the Kenwood VR-6060 is a step up from the others, since it is 6.1 and apparently has a healthy amount of power, with other features. I haven't tested the AB switching (I have the 6070), but the manual does not mention a limitation like the one I mentioned earlier.

Edit: Sorry, I misread 6050 for 6060. Of course, the 6050 only has a pre-out for a surround back speaker. Yes, it has binding posts for the B speakers, and I checked the manual to verify there is no mention of a limitation on AB switching.

Matthew WR

Auditioning
Thanks greg....so even if it's the Kenwood 6050 and not the 6060, would you still lean toward the Kenwood?

I assume with each of these you can have both a CD and DVD player hooked up. The reason I ask is that the kenwood appears (at least on the website picture) to have a DVD/CD input. Does this mean you can only hook up oen or the other?

Bill Will

Screenwriter
If the rear center speaker & a phono input are important to you than it's the Panasonic. Also if I'm not mistaken the Panasonic has more "REAL" Watts then the Kenwood or Pioneer & that might be something to consider if your planning on running two sets of speakers at once. I think the big drawback to the Panasonic is it's remote control but a universal remote can take care of that problem.

GregLee

Stunt Coordinator
From looking at the 6050 manual, I gather there are inputs for both a DVD and a CD player, in addition to a VCR. I can't help you choose, because my only experience is with the STAV-3090, a step down from the 711, and the 6070, a step up from the 6050.

Matthew WR

Auditioning
the "real watts" is important to me because I'll be trying to fill up a fairly large room w/ sound. I have an Onkyo receiver that I'm sure doesn't come anywhere near it's stated watts, and this is good to know.

GregLee

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think we know how the "real watts" of the Panasonic and Kenwood receivers compare. Bill Will says the Panasonic is the only one of the 3 with rear center speaker and phono input, but actually the Kenwood VR-6050 has a rear center pre-out and it does have a phono input. So perhaps he is not really intimately familiar with the 6050. The 6070 did quite well on tests, as reported by Sound & Vision in Nov., but I haven't seen independent tests for the 6050 and don't know how similar the amps are (the specs are similar).

AaronJB

Second Unit
The Panasonic is advertised at 100x6, although it apparently is 70x6 and 78x5. Still more than enough power to fill a mid-sized/large room.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Greg's right I really don't know too much about the Kenwood receiver but I do know the Panasonic puts out a lot of watts especially in stereo. S&V rated it with both channels driven as 147 watts at 8ohms & 175 watts at 4ohms. But don't take my word for it you should really check out all 3 receiver's for yourself for sound quality, power, connections, remotes & etc & go with the one that makes you happy :)

Vin

Supporting Actor
Matthew,

CC has the Kenwood 6050 and the Pioneer 711 on sale for $250 each. I picked up the 711 yesterday because one of my Kenwood VR-507s started to have a problem with the IR sensor, i.e., it seems that after the receiver heats up it no longer responds to remote commands.

Both of my systems (basement & living room) are used almost exclusively for HT and I find the low end Kenwoods to be great in this application!

The Kenwood 6050 is more or less the successor to my VR-507 although the VR0-507 has 3 S-video inputs on the back, the 6050 has only two. The descripiton for the 6050 is misleading because it says it has 3 S-video inputs but one of them is in the front....this is clearly seen if you look at the picture of the back of the receiver at Crutchfield's website. The reason I mention this is that S-video switching is one of your requirements....it was for me too so the Pioneer was a more suitable replacement for my VR0-507, as it does indeed have three S-video inputs on the back (in addtion to one in the front).

Other than this issue with the number of S-video inputs, the Kenwood will surely be able to accomodate your other needs including A/B speaker switching. FYI, when the B speakers are turned on (either alone or in additon to the A main speakers) you won't get any sound from your surround speakers because the amps for the surrounds are shared with the B speakers....of course, there are separate speaker terminals for a set of B speakers. Oh yea, one other thing, I never found the Kenwood VR-507 to be underpowered in my basement which measures only slightly smaller than your room.

BTW, my Kenwood VR-507 is going into the shop to be repaired under warranty which is 2 years parts and labor according to my manual/warranty card...I've had the receiver for ~1.5 years so I'm covered. Kenwood is still offering a 2 year warranty (on the 6050)....the Pioneer I just bought is warrantied for one year only, parts & labor.

Vin

Jason Tracewell

Stunt Coordinator
I too own a Kenwwod VR-507 and have had no problems with mine at all *knock on wood*.. I use it mostly for Home Theater, but do run the occasional CD and VCR as well..

I plan on upgrading soon, mainly for the need of multiple component imputs, otherwise, I am very happy with this unit.

The room I am running it in is slightly larger than the 26x16 and it fills the room nicely..

Also, I have watched a few VCR tapes with the DD Pro-Logic II and have to say it sounds awesome.. The video may look out-dated, but the audio was very impressive for an older VHS tape... The Pro-Logic II is a must have...

Other than that, I second everything else Vin mentioned above about the same receiver... Don't know if any of this will help, but figured I would add my 2¢...

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks