Low End A/V Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DavidLC, Jun 24, 2003.

1. DavidLC

DavidLC Agent

Interested in purchasing the best LOW END A/V 5.1 receiver I can find. Unit will be matched to cheap DVD & TV in my daughters room. Was thinking of going with an Okyno HTS -650 package for $370 at CC (LFE works). But now considering just a low end amp and filling the system out with my old speakers. Any Suggestions on Amp. Brand - Model nd Cost?

2. DavidLC

DavidLC Agent

Oops - Sorry about the spelling.....Make that an Onkyo HTS-650 package. Sorry about the spelling

3. MikeNagy

MikeNagy Stunt Coordinator

I still have the original Onkyo HT-S650 that I got when I was first getting started in home theater. It's nothing spectacular, but it does well for the money (I paid $500 back in the day), and $350 is a killer deal. I use it in my bedroom now and even though I have better gear that sounds quite a bit better, I still love my Onkyo.

4. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

I suggested these in a previous post for a college kid looking for the least expensive option also in case anyone has a little deja vu!

At Best Buy you can get the Kenwood VR-606 for $139.00.
    It's rated at 100wpc and even has a few s-video inputs.
    Has DTS , DD, DPLII and some DSP modes.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e...=1&cat=3&scat=4
    Also, Circuit City has the Sherwood RD6108 for $129.99. It's not quite as powerful as the Kenwood but also has DD and DTS and DLPII as well as some DSP modes . No s-video though. The people that have bought it seem to like it OK.
    http://www.circuitcity.com/display_...84&catoid=-8021

5. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I've seen a Philips system with receiver and 5 speakers plus sub for $200. The speakers actually sounded decent, considering the price, that is.

I think you can get a Pioneer receiver for about $150.

6. ChrisConklin

ChrisConklin Stunt Coordinator

I made a thread similar to this today but i'll just post here to combine space. Is there like a top 5 list of the best and worst low end receiver makers, like Pioneer, JVC, etc etc so when i'm browsing around ebay and the like i know what to look for and what to avoid.

7. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Kenwood makes decent HTIB systems. If you're looking for just a receiver for the price, the Panasonic SAHE100 is a good, affordable, feature-packed receiver that can be found for around $225 online.