What's new

Low-end A/V Receiver, Yamaha - Sony? (1 Viewer)

Firat Cingi

Auditioning
Hi all,

I have recently dived in this HT world. My first experience was with a TEAC built-in system. After one month I decided to change the speakers and subwoofer. Last weekend I listened my new speakers on a Yamaha receiver and realized that my receiver can not handle that speakers. I did spent twice as much that I want to, but once you start this "hobby" you can not stop.

Anyway, I'm still on the low-end, and my two options are Sony STR-DE698 and Yamaha RX-V357 (I guess it is Yamaha HTR-5830SL in USA)

My speakers are Jamo E350PPL (140W*2+100W*3, 8 ohms) + Jamo E3 sub (70W, 8 inch active subwoofer).

Which one serves me better, would you help me?

Regards,

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Years ago, I killed a low-end Sony receiver with my (then) new speakers (a pair of SuperZeros, actually.) I hope that Sony's improved their product line, but I never went back. Without knowing the specifics of either model you mentioned, I'd go to the Yamaha without hesitation.

Leo

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Sony's DE line doesn't have the best reputation. I'd go for the Yamaha as well, unless you're willing to look at other brands (in which case I'd recommend a 30-day trial of the superb sounding Panasonic XR55 receiver)

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
I would consider used or refurbished. You can get a nice set-up for around $200 in ether of those two categories. For example, take a look at a refurbished Onkyo 503. They are $159 at JR.com

Firat Cingi

Auditioning
Thank you all for your help :) (or must it be "Thank all for your help" ?? sorry for my English)

I live in Turkey and online dealers like JR.com doesn't ship to Europe. And prices in Europe are ridiculiously high. Besides, if there is no dealer in the country, even if it is available, then prices really goes up (like Denon, Marantz, Onkyo ...)

For my initial post, I have to change my options. I was leaning to Yamaha RX-V357 rather then Sony, but find its abilities limiting. So, I persuade my self for a Yamaha RX-V457 at least.

As I said before, I can not find all the brands, or all the models of the available brands. So I have to consider which ones can I find. I can consider Teac AG-15D for example (almost at a double cost to Yamaha RX-V457). At the same price range Onkyo TX-SR503 is also available but the store does not have an agreement with my bank, so I have to pay it cash which is unlikely to happen (very unlikely indeed). I need your opinions about the Teac. I don't want to be upset after some years. Is Teac really an upgrade to Yamaha RX-V457?

Regards,

Firat Cingi

Auditioning
Allright, yesterday I found a store that has Onkyo TX SR503, which I can buy with my credit card. So the strongest option is the Onkyo now. I hope it can handle my Jamo speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks