What's new

Low cost turntable suggestions? (1 Viewer)

TonyNelson

Auditioning
Hi,
I'm upgrading my system, and I want a turntable that sounds better than the one I currently have (an awful Sony $100 thing).
I'm considering the Sumiko Pro-ject 1.2 and the Music Hall MMF2.1. Both are around $300. Is there any general consensus as to which is better for the money?
Also, I can't seem to find out for sure base on the websites for these products, but do both of the turntables require the belt to be manually moved to switch to 45 RPM? I don't have a problem with that, but the wife might! ;) If so, are there quality options that have a switch selectable speed control for around the same price?
Thanks
Tony

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I would add the Rega P2 to that list, you should be able to find it used for under $300 easily. I got my P3 used for around $350, but I know that that's a really good deal.

I have no experience with the two tables you mentioned, so I cannot tell you which is better. I'm very happy with my P3, for what that's worth.

Switch selectable speed control.... no idea about that either.

Oh, I can recommend the Pro-ject, though I dumped the Ortofon cartridge (an OM30, I think) for, ironically, a Sumiko Blue Point. If "Ifs and Ands were Pots and Pans" though, I love to have my old Gyrodek back.

HankM

Second Unit
Music Hall also makes some great tables. The MMF-5 at $499 with arm and Goldring cartridge is a steal and the lower price MMF-2 at $299 with arm and Goldring cartridge is also a good deal. Both are highly recommended in Stereophile and The Absoulute Sound.

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
I have been using the Music Hall MMF 2.1 for over a year (not for much longer, my VPI Scout just got shipped to me). I think it's a great 'table for the money but the cartridge isn't the greatest tracker.

I broke down and mounted a Shure V15VxMR on the 2.1. I know, a $300 cartridge on a $300 table is kinda silly but it sounds great.

I think the Pro-Ject or the P2 are equally good choices. As far as I know, they all require changing the belt on the spindle to switch from 33 1/3 to 45 (I know that's how the MMF 2.1 and the P3 work). For me this isn't a big deal because I don't have a whole lot of 45s.

-Mike...

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
I broke down and mounted a Shure V15VxMR on the 2.1. I know, a $300 cartridge on a $300 table is kinda silly but it sounds great.
It's fine Mike, I have a Koetsu Black($1,500) on my P3. I was seriously thinking about upgrading my rig when I ordered the Koetsu but after auditioning several TT's(Gyrodec,Innerspace,Clearaudio)I decided to wait. I also upgraded the wiring and counterweight. I have read a lot about guys upgrading from the Rega TT's only to find they miss the Rega characteristics, I may be one of them too.
Look on audioasylum and you'll see what I mean.
I hope you enjoy your Scout when you get it, enjoy!:)

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
It's fine Mike, I have a Koetsu Black($1,500) on my P3.
Now, THAT's silly! :D
The P3 definitely has a strong following. I had made up my mind to buy a one when I got an offer for 20% off on the VPI PLUS $150 in free music. I couldn't pass it by because the Scout is so darn sexy.
I hang out on Vinyl Asylum a lot. It probably has the greatest cumulative knowledge on the subject anywhere in the world. I just try to help out where I can in other forums.
-Mike...

HankM

Second Unit
Rega P3's are nice. I use a Rega RB900 tonearm and a Rega Exact MM cartridge on my Linn LP-12 Valhalla table. This is killer although I would like to upgrade to a MC cartridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks