Low cost turntable suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TonyNelson, Nov 6, 2002.

1. TonyNelson

TonyNelson Auditioning

Hi,
    I'm upgrading my system, and I want a turntable that sounds better than the one I currently have (an awful Sony $100 thing).
    I'm considering the Sumiko Pro-ject 1.2 and the Music Hall MMF2.1. Both are around $300. Is there any general consensus as to which is better for the money?
    Also, I can't seem to find out for sure base on the websites for these products, but do both of the turntables require the belt to be manually moved to switch to 45 RPM? I don't have a problem with that, but the wife might! [​IMG] If so, are there quality options that have a switch selectable speed control for around the same price?
    Thanks
    Tony

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I would add the Rega P2 to that list, you should be able to find it used for under $300 easily. I got my P3 used for around $350, but I know that that's a really good deal.

I have no experience with the two tables you mentioned, so I cannot tell you which is better. I'm very happy with my P3, for what that's worth.

Switch selectable speed control.... no idea about that either.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

4. David Young

David Young Extra

Oh, I can recommend the Pro-ject, though I dumped the Ortofon cartridge (an OM30, I think) for, ironically, a Sumiko Blue Point. If "Ifs and Ands were Pots and Pans" though, I love to have my old Gyrodek back.

5. HankM

HankM Second Unit

Music Hall also makes some great tables. The MMF-5 at $499 with arm and Goldring cartridge is a steal and the lower price MMF-2 at $299 with arm and Goldring cartridge is also a good deal. Both are highly recommended in Stereophile and The Absoulute Sound.

6. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

I have been using the Music Hall MMF 2.1 for over a year (not for much longer, my VPI Scout just got shipped to me). I think it's a great 'table for the money but the cartridge isn't the greatest tracker.

I broke down and mounted a Shure V15VxMR on the 2.1. I know, a $300 cartridge on a $300 table is kinda silly but it sounds great.

I think the Pro-Ject or the P2 are equally good choices. As far as I know, they all require changing the belt on the spindle to switch from 33 1/3 to 45 (I know that's how the MMF 2.1 and the P3 work). For me this isn't a big deal because I don't have a whole lot of 45s.

-Mike...

7. Dan Marchewka

Dan Marchewka Stunt Coordinator

8. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

9. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

10. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

11. HankM

HankM Second Unit

Rega P3's are nice. I use a Rega RB900 tonearm and a Rega Exact MM cartridge on my Linn LP-12 Valhalla table. This is killer although I would like to upgrade to a MC cartridge.