What's new

Low-cost quality subwoofer cable (1 Viewer)

Willem Vos

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,

I'm trying to replace the (thin, non-shielded) cable that came with my subwoofer.

I've looked at the Monster 300M 12ft, but it was priced at $67, so that's way too expensive for me.

Is it possible to get good results using a good quality (shielded) composite-video coax cable instead?

Harry Lincoln

Stunt Coordinator
Willem, I use a shielded composite video cable on one of my subs, it seems to work just the same as the audio RCA that is used on the other sub, so if you already have one go for it. I have seen a few peole reccommend buying RG6 coax cable and RCA plugs and soldering them on yourself. This is the cheapest way as far as I know.

Harry.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
accessories4less.com

Ixos bronze, often for free shipping, y-cable included, cheap!

Worked great for me, $15 or so.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
My sub is currently hooked up with a video cable.

The SVS guys also recommend you use less-expensive cables for your sub. But in at least 1 case, the cable one customer tried gave poor results. When he swapped to another cable (similar quality), but with tighter RCA plugs, the sound improved dramatically.

So look for an inexpensive Monster cable with those turbine RCA plugs, or make your own, but make sure the RCA is a tight fit.

Willem Vos

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm, wll I bought a video cable, but connecting the plugs went relatively easy.

Does this mean they're not fitted tightly enough...

By tight you mean you have to exert reasonable force to get them connected?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I use 12-Ft. Gold-Series Stereo A/V Cable w/ Phono Plugs
Using a similar cable (20') from Radio Shack, I separated the two cables and used a gold coupler in the middle. I now have a 40' sub cable which was only $23.00 in parts. Before this cable, I was using a regular speaker cable, but experienced a lot of "hum". The RS cable took care of the hum -- and at an economical price compared to something by Monster.

Willem Vos

Stunt Coordinator
Well, how tight should the plugs be?

I would think that if they fit, they fit.

How could there be that much difference?

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Fit with a bit of force is good.

If it slips off with the slightest pull, look elsewhere.

Tight fit really shouldn't be a big deal. Some monsters are known to be so tight that they can damage cheap equipment with the force they require.

That's nuts!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks