What's new

low cost dvd for aunt with a 13 inch tv- just don't want it to skip (1 Viewer)

Jose G

Supporting Actor
She actually also has a 19" tv but both are basic, basic units. I'm looking at the Sony NS 315 or the Panasonic RV32K for about $100. I don't want to spend more on this gift. I understand that the Toshiba, Pioneer or Panasonic lower-end models are the best- is that right? Remember- I don't want to spend more than $100- really. Someone here posted about an apex model-really? Should I just forget apex or are they one of those lesser known units that do well for the majority of folks?

Really, what do you think about the that Sony NS315 machine? I know the Sony NS300 doesn't do well with rentals and scratches. That's what I want to avoid. please help- her birthday...well it passed... so you see I'm in a bit of a hurry:b

Charlie B. Ch.

Stunt Coordinator
Cyberhome CH500 ($59 at Best Buy). I have one and would recommend it. Easy to hack also, in case just grandma wants to watch DVD from other regions.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Charlie,
I'm interested in that Cyberhome unit for sure for that price and the multi-region capability. Where can I get more info on how do do that?

Jason,
Thanks for the update on that Toshiba. I know the 1800 is running for about $80 at Best Buy. Do you know how that unit compares to the 2800?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Might be better to stick w/ a major brand name as a gift for your aunt unless you're really tight on $$$. I'd go w/ a Tosh, not the Cyberhome. If Sony fits your budget, that's probably a good choice also. The Tosh and Sony will probably provide better remotes than the others also. The Panny might be less reliable for the long haul.

_Man_

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Man-Fai, I think you're right on regarding the Panny- as that's been my experience with them, too; they die earlier than the other brands. The price at JandR.com is good for them though-hmmmm. Well, that little Tosh 1800 at best buy sure isn't bad for only $20 more than the Cyberhome.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
The Sony DVP-NS315 is a nice player but I have one BIG reservation about that player--the navigation controls are just a bit too limited, even on the remote control. Now, if we can just talk Sony into coming up with a better remote with more extensive navigation options for the DVP-NS315.... :)

I would suggest the Pansonic RV32K but given Panasonic's poor reputation for low end players and the fact that I dislike the variable speed playback controls on the remote, :thumbsdown: I'd rather take the Sony.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys for all your help- at leat I'm clear on why I will pick the one I pick, which I think will end up being the Tosh for my aunt...or is it the Sony (the better price will tell on this one me thinks).

Now Charlie has got me looking into a whole new ballgame with the links he provided- which I new exisited but never really ventured to seek this type of info out before. Oh well, I guess the wife and I will still be battling about how much time I spend on the computer and learning about all these electronic tricks and such- something I really don't have the time for but it sucks you in- don't it! Thanks again and take good care!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks