Low cost car amp for single sub

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by BlakeN, Feb 11, 2004.

1. BlakeN

BlakeN Stunt Coordinator

Im trying to find an amp with built in crossover for a single mtx t3128 for under $150 It will be in a single sealed box approx 2 cubic feet of interior volume.

These are the current amps im looking into

Road Thunder 202 $99

Thunder282 $149

Sony XM-280GTX Xplod $89

Sony XM-2165GTX Xplod $119

Punch 201S $149

If anyone has auditioned or owns these amps please let me know what you think of them or if anyone has any other suggestions please shout them out.

BTW music ranges the gauntlet jazz, techno, rock and rap if that helps at all.

2. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

I know from previous experience and the reading of many reviews that the MTX amps are always under rated on their wattage. They definitely put out more than what the spec's say.

Out of the amps listed I'd go with the Thunder282. WWW.Hookedontronics.com lists this amp at $118.00

Some other bang for the buck amps for subs might be Rocford Fosgate Punch 400s (@ hookedontronics.com), USA Acoustics, Profile, Crossfire and Avionixx.

3. BlakeN

BlakeN Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the tip on the mtx amps and the webpage.

4. Adam-DiVine

Adam-DiVine Auditioning

You should check out millionbuy.com. They have a closeout special on Soundstream Rubicon amps. Specifically, they have a 100W mono Rubicon for 79.99. This is an outstanding deal on an amp that will far surpass the others you are considering in terms of quality and performance. Hope this helps.

5. BlakeN

BlakeN Stunt Coordinator

Im not a big car audio person so Ive never heard of this brand. The stats on their amps are great though.

Instead of the one you pointed out Here How about (Edit: link is gone ) one. Its 20 dollars more but free shipping (11.50 to my area) so actualy only $8.50 more. It has quite a bit better output but I was wondering if there were any drawback to bridging a two channel amp vs the mono block.

Thanks again.

Edit: Just looked at the soundstream webpage and it looks like they make some impressive stuff.

6. Adam-DiVine

Adam-DiVine Auditioning

Profile is an OK brand, but don't let the numbers fool you. I will bet dollars to donuts that the Soundstream will outperform the Profile even though the numbers don't add up. Soundstream is one of those companies that consistantly understates the wattage of their amplifiers. Profile on the other hand does just the opposite. I have actually owned amps from both of these companies and can honestly say that a 20W soundstream will drive a speaker harder and sound better than an amp three to four times more powerful from Profile.

7. Adam-DiVine

Adam-DiVine Auditioning

Sorry, forgot to address the two channel vs. one channel thing. The only real advantage is that a mono amp is usually designed to work with lower impedance loads. When you bridge an amp, you double the lowest impedence that the amp can handle. So if a two channel amp can handle a 2 ohm load, it can only handle 4 ohms when bridged. A momo amp is also usually designed with a beefier power supply to handle the demands of a subwoofer.

8. BlakeN

BlakeN Stunt Coordinator

Ok somehow my second link got all messed up I didnt mean to link to a profile amp at all, it was supose to be a different soundstream. Try the second link again. Ahhhh crud the amp i linked to is gone. It was the EGA2160 http://www.soundstream.com/sub/products_amps_edge.html for only $95 looks like i might have missed out on a great deal.

Edit: looks like there are a few stores that have it for 105 with free shipping as well.