Low ceilings & ceiling mount

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jim Mcc, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I am researching my first proj. purchase, and I need to know if my ceiling height of 6'8" is too low for a ceiling mount? I plan to make my own, if that matters. The room is aprox. 12'X17'. My screen will be 16:9, probably going all the way up to ceiling. If ceiling mount won't work, I'll have to use a stand/table or get a long throw to go on rear wall, such as Hitachi Home-1. Thanks for any advice you can give.

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Jim,
    My ceiling is 7ft and for my screen I had to go tight to the ceiling with the border. If you want a bigger screen you will have to do the same.

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Jim, my room is 16' in length and has a dropped ceiling at the half way point. It drops from 7.5' to 6.5'. The screen is located at the low end and is mounted right up to the celing. My current screen is a 16:9 80" diagonal and I am in the process of building a new screen which will be 85" (as big as I can go).

My PJ is mounted to the higher ceilng but must drop down to clear the dropped portion of the lower celing. It works very well. You should not have any problems.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

If you're serious enough, you can make anything work. I am on the verge of mounting a ridiculously huge CRT on a ceiling that high. Just takes some dedication is all [​IMG] .

5. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Thanks guys, but I still need to know about how far below ceiling will projector hang? Ceiling height is 6'8", and I don't want anyone hitting their head on it. I'd rather not use keystone correction either, from what I've read.