1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Low ceilings and narrow spaces

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by John Menoni, Mar 4, 2004.

1. John Menoni

John Menoni Stunt Coordinator

I am about to embark on my long awaited home theater project in my finished basement. The space is far from ideal for a home theater space. The sheetrock ceilings are 6 1/2 feet and jut down to about 6 feet in certain areas because of overhead pipes. The basement is an L shape layout. Because of the furnice/waterheater room, a big part of the seating area is only 6 1/2 feet wide. I would really love to use a ceiling mounted (even if I have to duck) or a floor mounted DLP projector. I have an M&K MX350 THX sub, a Pioneer elite THX select reciever, and 5 Klipch surround speakers. Eventually I plan on upgrading to all M&K THX speakers. The seating area is over 21 feet long so it is a good length. I am going to put wall fabric on the walls to absorb some of the sound and prevent any echo effect. The floors are already carpeted. Can I reasonably expect a high performance theater with that type of room layout? If anyone has a similar space or can give me any advise, I would really appreciate it. I plan on getting the best possible equiptment I can buy including a DLP projector with the HD2 chip, and another M&K THX sub. I'm also spending time on the decorative aspect of the theater with THX wall plaques and prop replicas from Star Wars and Lord Of The Rings. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Don't know if you should cover all of the walls with fabric as you already have carpet - may be too dead. I'd start by covering behind the front speakers and down the sidewalls maybe halfway. Then see how it sounds.

3. Orlando

Orlando Stunt Coordinator

I have almost the same kind of physical set-up. And it is not going to be as bad as you think. Also remember that it is almost impossible to get the 100% ideal environment. It is nothing but compromises start to finish. Just got to pick the ones that will make you happy. And try not to forget it is a labor of love so try to enjoy it instead of nitpicking the details to disgust.

4. John Menoni

Thank you for your replies. I think I am going to use thin wall fabric along the side walls to stop the echo effect. I can't imagine it deadening the sound to much. If the thin fabric isn't enough, I will maybe try some bass traps. I don't expect a perfect theater but I hope it is a great envirement that comes close to recreating the theater experience. Orlando, do you have any pics of your theater? What kind of equiptment do you use? I am interested at your end results. Thanks again fellas!

5. Orlando

Hey John,
    Noticed you list New York. I work on Wall Street and live in Baldwin, LI.
    But anyway I am in the middle of a major upgrade. Installing a projector with a hushbox which forced me to redo everything. Move and order new furniture and move every single wire, outlet and dust particle that I had down there. I am also finished or at least almost ready to post a few pics. Been really busy so hopefully I'll post some this week-end.

6. JeromeB

JeromeB Agent

Orlando,

Who makes your hushbox, and what is it’s design? I have a low ceiling height and plan on using an electric lift.

Any experience or recommendations with projectors in the 5-7K range? I am thinking about the Sharp 12000, although I heard complaints of loud fan noise.

Regards,
    -jb

7. John Menoni

Orlando, I'm looking forward to seeing the pics. I think the hush box is something I'm going to have to look into someday if I get a DLP projector. I realize that my theater is never going to be ideal but I'm sure when I have all the great equiptment I plan on buying and a 96 inch screen I will be happy with the end result.

8. DustinB

DustinB Auditioning

Contact Dave Beatty at whisperflow.com, I believe he is located in NY as well. He builds them specific to your needs and only takes about 3 weeks to build them. This is just a personal pref, but it's not worth the hassle if you projector doesn't make to much noise, plus when your watching a dvd w/your home theater the volume should easily drowned out the sound of any fan. Enjoy your HT!

9. Orlando

Hey Guys,

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. Been extremely busy and have not been able to finish my project.

Dave Beatty at whisperflow.com did my hushbox really nice piece of work. I got the smoked glass one at it looks pretty slick. The noise will eventually start to bother you especially on softer parts. Like anything else in the beginning you like no big deal, but as you start getting closer to perfection you'll start to knit pick.

I have a Runco CL-700 and we love it. We never even considered getting a projector until this amazing deal came about. Just the thought of it drove my wife nuts. Now we agree we will never live without a projector as long as we can help it.

Pictures are coming I promise.

10. Orlando

Just an update.

But major progress has been made. Just a few adjustments, clean-up and the pictures will be posted.

Sorry it is so long and hope it is worth the wait for you.

11. John Menoni

Thats great news Orlando. I hope to see some pics. I am definately going to look into wisperflow.com. Can I ask how much you had to pay? THanks and enjoy your theater!!!

12. Orlando

Well it is finally done. The project and the pictures. Sorry it took so long, but it was a lot of work. But hopefully it was worth the wait and informative for you.
    Just go to this link and check out the photos. There are two albums one for the Home Theater and a separate one for the Hushbox.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/littleog3131/my_photos

I’ve started this thread to consolidate all questions and comments.

Thanks. And again sorry it took so long.

13. John Menoni

Congrats Orlando. The theater looks amazing! I can't wait until mine is all done.