low ceiling height

Discussion in 'Displays' started by raymond caputo, Mar 31, 2005.

1. raymond caputo

raymond caputo Stunt Coordinator

i would like some suggestions on what projectors to consider for a low ceiling height(6.5')..or...what to look for...i am hoping for a 90-100 inch wide screen...the room is 16x23....thanks guys...budget up to 5k, but hoping to spend around 3K

2. Bryce_H

Bryce_H Stunt Coordinator

wow, that is low. Is this a finished space? Are you going to pass building code. I'm finishing my basement and I dip to 7'6" and that just meets code.

I think your biggest challenge is where to put it. It will be really low hanging from the ceiling.

If you can incorporate into the back wall that might be your best option (but then you will need a projector with a long throw lens).

No specific model recommendations.

Good luck.

3. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

I have a very low ceiling also and a projector works just fine. You want a projector with a mechanical lens shift (like the Sanyo Z3). That way you can mount directly against the ceiling and still have the picture in the right spot on the wall.

a 90" wide screen would be 51" tall (excluding any trim), so screen height is not really a problem. make sure that you have room for placement of a speaker above or below the screen.

I assume that you are not planning on stadium seating.

Code, we don't need no stinking code!!!

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Should not be a problem at all. Obviously, you will need the minimum drop ont he mount but the projector will line up close to the top of the screen or a little below that point. A little vertical shift adjustment of the PJ, or keystone correction will offset that. A longer throw projector may be preferrable, just to get the projector behind the first row of seating at least so that the projector does not become an obstacle or distraction.

5. raymond caputo

7' ceilings in basements is code...well in new york anyway..maybe a table mount might work...curious to see if the new benq pe7700 will work...anyone else with low ceilings give me a shout(don't bump ya head)

6. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

Definitely look into the Toshiba mt700 ($2500) and the Benq 7700. Both are 720p DLP projectors with no vertical offsets. The top of the image when ceiling mount is where your lens is from the ceiling.

7. raymond caputo

i'm hoping the benq 7700 gets some good reviews..i was thinking that i might have to go with the sim2 domino30h or the sharp z12000..both are kind of up there in price..maybe prices will come down if the 7700 takes off. if a ceiling mount is used what is the general distance from ceiling to bottom of projector?? i don't need mother-in-law hitting her head and breaking my pj..

8. Gurudristi

Gurudristi Auditioning

6.5' is really low. The room size is good. depending on your seating plan, I can suggest the projector be placed inside a concealed table in front of the seating postion or it can even be placed on top. In order to get an 8 feet wide picture, probably you will need to place the projector somewere around 15-16 feet from the screen. You will have to check specs with the manufacturer. I am using a LG RDJT 30 DLP , XGA projector ( portable kind) and work very well when placed on table top with excellent picture-contrast, blacks and all. Am planning a DIY with the screen.

9. raymond caputo

my options seem to be alot better then i originally anticipated...it will probably be at least a few months before i'm actually ready to purchase..i'm in the process now of finishing the bsmt...btw, after remeasuring the ceiling height it turns out a little better 6.8' instead of 6.5'...(hey 3" to alot of guys would make a big difference!)

10. Bryce_H

Bryce_H Stunt Coordinator

You do if you ever want to sell your house!

code in Colorado is 6'8" under soffits for a maximum of 96" inches (8 feet), otherwise it is 7'6".

11. raymond caputo

not everyone lives in colorado bryce...i assure you my house IS in code...first of all a bsmt is not considered living space....maybe in colorado it is!