LOW budget system...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottH, Mar 17, 2002.

1. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I'm helping my sister-in-law shop for a [very] low budget system in which she wants a receiver, DVD player, and speakers (just mains) for around $500-$600. We've already narrowed down the DVD player to the Panasonic RV32 (she wants it to play MP3), and are pretty much settled on Polk R10 bookshelves for speakers (although I'm open to other suggestions there - these can be had for $100). So that leaves about $250 for the receiver. She says all she needs is a stereo receiver (doesn't need any of the surround sound features), just wants it to sound good. She is gonna want to hook up the DVD player and possibly the VCR through the receiver though, so perhaps a lower end home theater receiver would suit her better than a stereo model? She will be using the DVD player primarily for CD music (including MP3), but also the occasional movie. Any ideas on the receiver? One possibility I've looked at is the Onkyo TX-8211 (stereo), or perhaps a Kenwood VR-505 (5 channel). Would it even be practical for her to hook up a DVD player to a stereo receiver? I'm assuming she'd have to go through the CD inputs. She will also be hooking up a tape deck and record player to it. I'd appreciate any help anyone could give!

2. Greg_L_C

Greg_L_C Stunt Coordinator

For a receiver in that price range I like the Yamaha RXV420.

My brother has on in his bedroom and it has a lot of freatures and great sound with ample output. Ive seen it in the 250 price range. 5.1 receiver with 3 digital inputs 65 watts. I think it also comes in a different model number like 5440 or something.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

4. Keith Ro

Keith Ro Agent

If she definitely doesn't want 5.1 then you might want to buy a decent used 2 channel receiver.

If you're buying new, then I think you're probably right --with great 5.1 receivers going for $250, why not get one..But I'd suggest the Kenwood 507 over the 505.

Why? and because you mention she wants to hook up a record player and unlike many, many receivers it includes a built-in phono preamp.

IMHO it's also the best bang for the buck home theatre receiver...

Cheers,

kr

5. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

The reason I tossed in the HK is that it's a higher quality piece for the money than a low end HT system.

However, it has no video ins or outs, so her TV would have to do the switching.

Plus the 70 watts are backed up by a 42 amp power supply - and it's got a subwoofer out jack, a good thing if she's going with bookshelf speakers.

Good Luck!

6. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Does it matter if a receiver doesn't have a phono input? In other words, will she be able to hook her phono up to a Video Aux input, or even the CD input?

7. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Phono inputs are for phono only, since the electrical charachteristics are completely different.
    I'm no expert, but I know that you need a phono pre-amp stage if you try to use any other input.
    HK!
    [​IMG]

8. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator

Check out the Denon 1602 also.

9. Bob Marker

Bob Marker Stunt Coordinator

You might check out some of the low cost Pioneer receivers. I have a set up similar to what your sister-in-law is trying to put together and have a 2 channel Pioneer SX - 205 receiver that I bought a few years ago at Circuit City for $100. (it has a phono input). I had no problem hooking up my DVD/CD player and the unit does a great job in my modest 2 channel HT system. I have also tried this receiver in my main 2 channel music system and, surprising as it may be, have found its sonic quality to be fully equal to MUCH more expensive integrated amps and separates I've owned over the years. At a cost of only $100, that would leave you with a bit more money to spend on speakers (which, IMO, have more to do with a system's sound than any other component) such as the Polk R25i which may offer a significant step up from the R10s

Good luck.

10. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    ColinM,

Will she be able to hook up both a DVD player AND VCR to the HK 3370? I guess she could hook the DVD player into the CD inputs, and the VCR into the AUX inputs, then the video through the TV?

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'd first want to make sure she knows the difference between a stereo-receiver and a ht-receiver.

obviously, it doesn't sound like ht is important to her, but she is going to hook up the dvd and vcr to it, so she will be watching "ht-capable" sources. heck, many tv programs are in dolby now.

if she absolutely doesn't care about the 5-speaker experience, then you'll be able to allocate that money to a better 2-channel receiver.

12. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    She definitely could care less about 5.1 or any surround sound for that matter, so stereo definitely seems to be the way to go. I like that HK 3370, but I'm just worried that she won't be able to hook up the DVD AND the VCR...which reverts back to my earlier question...can she hook the DVD player into the CD inputs, and the VCR into the AUX inputs, then the video through the TV?

13. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

14. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

I would recommend the Sherwood 7103 -- You get all three DSPs: DD, DTS, DPL.

Circuit City

Sherwood 7103 $149.99

Standard Shipping $7.81

(Shipping is probably less than tax)

====

$157.80

If she can wait 'till April, she can get one of the new Sherwoods or Kenwoods at this price point. These will be 6.1, DTS, Dolby, DPLII, DTS-ES, &c. Pretty loaded, but the build will not be as good as some of the higher models e.g., speaker clips instead of binding posts.

15. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Scott -

Most tv's built within the last 3 years will have 2 inputs for vid sources on the back. If so, you'll find enough inputs on that HK. Switch the vid with the tv and bam, high quality 2-ch HT.

I almost want one now...

Good Luck, enjoy the shopping!

16. Steve-sas

Steve-sas Agent

The one thing I would do is upgrade the Polk speakers to rt15is or the rt25is (like Bob Marker suggested). The rt15is can be had for around $150/pr and it would not suprise me if you could not get the rt25is for close to that since they are being replaced by the rt28i. I have the rt15is and used them for a short time with a temp stereo system. I was amazed at how well they sounded for a small speaker and have now set them up as surrounds. The 25s sound better but they would not fit where I needed my rear surrounds to be.

17. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Samuel,
    The thread is about stereo only.
    ScottH,
    I believe the ONKYO TX-8511 is the perfect solution if she can afford it. It features video switching as well as nice clean stereo sound. That is the piece I would recommend strongly. The H/K receivers are overachievers (I have a 3270 in my office and absolutely love it) but they do not have video switching. From the thread it sounds like simplicity of use is a strong selling point. Well, the 8511 has usability in spades. Having to switch inputs on the TV and receiver is a BIG FAT PAIN IN THE ASS. Have one device do all the switching.
    Here is the Onkyo page: http://www.onkyousa.com/show_model.c...vers&m=TX-8511

18. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

Philip Hamm said:

19. Lee Weiss

Lee Weiss Stunt Coordinator

I just got the Polk rt15's for surround to replace old ones. I am quite happy with them for a low-cost speaker. I have other Polk's and think they are very warm sounding. The rt10's are not ported, if I remember correctly, and have no provision for a wall mount.

I would try and get the rt28's if you can fit it in her budget. They are definitely worth it.

I think you should be able to find some nice receivers for $250. Everything nowadays is 5.1, and why not get it so you can expand. My new Yamaha RX-V530 has it all, including optical and digital coax inputs, S-video in's and out. Maybe a lower model Yamaha? The Denon 1602 was what I was considering, but was out of stock.

20. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Scott, If you are near a SAMS, go check out the Hitachi theater in a box. It has a pro scan DVD player rcvr+speakers. Very cheap!!!!