What's new

Low budget HT system (1 Viewer)

Nathan H H

Auditioning
So, I'm a... well, a few-weeks reader, first time poster (obviously), and I'm just looking for any thoughts or advice you'd have for me.

I'm going to college, in a "suite" with four other people living with me, and am looking to build my first quasi-HT system. Right now all I have is a 19" orion TV in my room, and Klipsch promedia 4.1s in my room.

Basically, I just need a decent, viable audio setup in the common area.

So far, I've ordered JBL E20s, and my girlfriend, who's awesome, said she wanted to get a receiver for me. So I've pretty much picked out the panny SA-HE100K. From what I can find it's a pretty decent receiver. She hasn't ordered the receiver yet, so if anyone has some contrary advice, it would be nice to hear it quick. ;) I'm not going to let her pay any more than $150 (subtotal) for a receiver. (yeah, I'll ask this in the receiver forum too)

After we use that "combination" for a few weeks and I get some more money, I'm planning on getting some JBL E50s; you can find them for as low as $230/pair (ns). I'd prefer 3-way mains.

No center yet, and no subwoofer either, as I need to be able to transport this to and from college when the time comes.

Any and all reactions are appreciated. :emoji_thumbsup:
-Nathan

Nathan H H

Auditioning
Also, could someone clue me in as to how I would go about breaking in the speakers? I've heard of it and vaguely how to do it, just want to make sure I do it right. And, as I'm in a dorm room, not too loudly, at least continuously. Is this possible?

Thanks a bunch,
-Nathan

Jarett

Stunt Coordinator
hey,
sounds like u've got urself a good plan...just one thing i noticed, i was under the impression most of the dialoge and actual speaking comes from the center channel...so personally i would go with a center before my rears eh? but i guess that personal preference...good luck on your journey!

Jay

Max F

Second Unit
I have the Sahe75 and like it very much. The only thing i don't like is if you used the low pass filter your stuck with 100 hz which is too high for me. Would have loved a variable low pass filter. The digital amps from panasonic (which are supposed to be great) have the same problem. Once Panasonic figures this out and adds a variable filter to their digital amps, i'll likely get one of those in the future.

For now i'm running my mains at large and using the sub variable filter at around 80 hz.

Nathan H H

Auditioning
Thanks for the feedback, guys..

Jay, I'm more concerned with the mains before the center, and I've already bought the surrounds. I can't afford a center at this point. The receiver should downmix a 5.1 signal to 4.1 for me though, correct?
..I hope so.

And Max, that's the general consensus on the SA-HEs. I won't be running a sub for awhile, but I'll look out for that when considering one. Thanks. =)

Anyone else have any experience with any of this equipment?
Also, should I shell out a few extra bucks for some good speaker wire, or what? I don't want to spend over $20 or $30 for wire, but does anyone have some suggestions?

...And then there's the breaking-in err.. dilemma. I want these to sound as good as possible. Maybe I'll present this question in a different post.

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
Nathan, as far as speaker wire, just go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get their 12 or 14 gauge wire. I would not waste money on branded wire. Some people disagree with this pov, but I think it's crazy to spend big dollars on this, unless you have a really high end system, and even then...

As far as breaking in your speakers once you get them, that's another point that people seem to disagree on. I don't think there is any magical way to break them in (assuming spekers even need a break in period). Just use them as you normally would, maybe not hitting the volume hard for the first few days. I personally have noticed some subtle difference between the speakers out of the box and after a using a while, but I think it's possible that it takes a few days for a person's ears to adjust to a new speaker as much as a speaker changing sonic qualities after use.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks