Low Audio on Scarface?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Matthew Marino, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Matthew Marino

Matthew Marino Stunt Coordinator

A few days ago I popped in the old Scarface:CE to see how bad the quality was. I noticed that the sound was really quiet compared to just about any other DVD in my collection. I was excited that the new disc would have improved sound. Now, normally a DD track would be set on 35 on my reciever and DTS on 25-30. I needed to put the new Scarface DTS track to 45-50 to get it at a volume I was happy with. Has anyone else had this problem? Needless to say I was very dissapointed with the sound though its nice to see the cleaned up video.

2. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

Thats about where i had the volume Matthew, but in my opinion , its not Universals fault because this movie never sounded that hot . So it probably is the best youll hear this movie sound.

3. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Yes: low level, and as I mentioned in another thread - no low end. Surprising Universal would prep and author a 5.1 mix without re-EQing it.

Cheers,

4. BruceKimmel

BruceKimmel Stunt Coordinator

I posted about this, too, in another thread. I was rather shocked at the audio, because there is literally no bass, and whether you like or hate Giorgio Morodor, his score needs bass. It seemed like there was no use of the surrounds at all and it's just a dull-as-dishwater track.

5. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

i noticed that the dialog tracks were really quiet compared to the (god-awful) music tracks...although i do listen through stereo speakers with no surround....God, that "take it to the limit" song....make it stop!!! [​IMG]

6. Tin-Lun Lau

Tin-Lun Lau Stunt Coordinator

gunshots were like...lacking bass.

audio all centred to the front. makes it pointless to have a DTS track. How come Universal can't remaster it like Columbia Pictures would remaster their old mvoies? (Ghostbusters, anyone?)

7. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

I thought the sound was quite normal.

I didn't need to crank it.

Looked good, sounded ok.