1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Lovely to look at, don't you like this musical ?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Daniel BARBIEUX, May 19, 2007.

1. Daniel BARBIEUX

Daniel BARBIEUX Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

Maybe I am wrong but there is a MGM musical that people in here never talk about, it's "Lovely look to Look". Although it is not a classic, it includes a lot of talent: Ann Miller, Kathryn Grayson, Howard Keel, Marge and Gower Champion and beautiful Jerome Kern songs, I think it was a hit in 1952. Do you think it will be available on DVD soon ?

Daniel.

2. FrankXS

FrankXS Stunt Coordinator

I believe this was a remake of the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers/Irene Dunne/Randolph Scott movie of the 30's called Roberta. We just got that last year in the Astaire/Rogers collection. Maybe in another year or so in one of the collections of MGM Musicals we will see Lovely to Look At.

3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    This is one of the most gorgeous Technicolor musicals ever made. I have it on VHS and laserdisc (according to the cover art, Technicolor restorations), and the color is eye-popping.

I've talked a lot about it because I was frankly disappointed it wasn't offered as a bonus feature on the ROBERTA DVD last year.

4. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

The "book" was always corny, but needless to say, Howard Keel was superior to Randolph Scott for the lead (but in all fairness, Scott's westerns were superior to Keel's). In their own way, the Champions were almost as good as Astaire and Rogers. The Kern songs are, of course, sublime (and where is LADY BE GOOD from WB and CENTENNIEL SUMMER from Fox?) Vincente Minnelli directed the fashion show in LTLA.

5. Corey

Corey Screenwriter

This was one of the better selling musicals on VHS so hopefully it does eventually garner a release.

6. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

I'd also like to see a dvd release of 1954's ROSE MARIE with Keel, Ann Blyth, Bert Lahr, Fernando Lamas, Marjorie Main. It was directed by Mervyn LeRoy and choreographed by Busby Berkeley. It was never released on tape, but there was letterboxed laserdisc. A Howard Keel box? After all, he did most of the singing in the Esther Williams musicals. And an excuse to bring outr KISMET!

7. Corey

Corey Screenwriter

Hopefully Classic Musicals Vol 5 looks like this:

-Double Feature: Lovely to Look At/Give A Girl A Break
    -Double Feature: Thousands Cheer/Broadway Rhythm
    -Yolanda and the Thief
    -Deep In My Heart
    -Small Town Girl
    -The Student Prince

I want Kismet as a solo release because I want it to be a double feature with the Marlene Dietrich/Ronald Colman version, or perhaps that could be in another camp set.

8. Corey

Corey Screenwriter

How about a Mario Lanza set with:

-Because You're Mine
    -The Great Caruso
    -Serenade
    -The Seven Hills of Rome
    -For the First Time

or a musical bio set with:

-Interrupted Melody
    -The Helen Morgan Story
    -I'll Cry Tomorrow