1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Lovejoy: Season 1 - 06/19/07

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Joseph J.D, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Wow.....this one completely came out of nowhere for me. A really pleasant surprise. [​IMG]

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/releasei...ReleaseID=6570

I used to watch this wonderful Ian McShane series on A&E Mysteries back in the early 90's - back when A&E was actually worth watching. Glad to see this one finally hitting DVD. I know I'll be picking this one up on release day. Here's hoping that BBC/Warner releases the entire series. [​IMG]

2. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

Very nice! I'll be glad to support this release.

3. PattyFraser

PattyFraser Second Unit

"- back when A&E was actually worth watching. "

So very true.

4. John Carr

John Carr Stunt Coordinator

Lovejoy is a marvelous series and it's about time it arrived on DVD. Highly recommended. Lovejoy is an amiable rouge, less malevolent than the book version, but Ian McShane captured his essence.

McShane is such a good actor that I'd watched the entire first season of Deadwood and never realized he'd been the star of Lovejoy until I read it in "Entertainment Weekly"!

John

5. Joseph J.D

More good news just announced over at TV shows on DVD:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=8007

January 8, 2008 for Season 2. [​IMG] .....glad to see that BBC/Warner are continuing with the series - and faster than I expected them to.

Looking forward to more Lovejoy this winter. [​IMG]

6. Kevin Fox

Kevin Fox Stunt Coordinator

Amen to the sentiments about A & E. Now it's just another reality show channel. *shudder*

I watched Lovejoy way back then too and lamented its absence on home video after. I didn't realize this came out at all until I got an email from BBC America yesterday announcing the release of Season 2. Both sets have gone onto my Amazon wish list and I truly hope that the rest of the seasons are released.

7. Joseph J.D

Noticed that Lovejoy: Season 3 is listed as a pre-order on Amazon. It's scheduled for 05/13/08. Glad to see more Lovejoy coming...and it's a 4-disc set this time. Here's the disc art:

[​IMG]

8. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

Philip Verdieck
    OK, I am going to resurrect this.

I have often been tempted to look into picking up Lovejoy.

However, with a 65 inch 4K TV, I am really reluctant to go in blind.

What is the quality of this release? I also went over to Amazon and saw this:

[​IMG]

https://smile.amazon.com/Lovejoy-Complete-Collection-Ian-McShane/dp/B00SXFIHPO/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=lovejoy&qid=1568220164&s=gateway&sr=8-2#customerReviews

For $155.

I guess I will be waiting for a Blu-Ray remaster...

And some of the Amazon reviews talk about it being VHS-DVD transfer, which is what I would expect for the original DVD release.

9. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    I have found many Amazon "reviews" to be highly unreliable, if not entirely bogus. Honest to God, I really think that some twisted people really want to spoil the fun for the rest of us, so we can be miserable like them. So, they often lie. There's a lot of good reviews from people who genuinely want to help others with reliable info...either to get the word out about substandard and disappointing release, or to sing their praises for the spectacular sets...recently, I was very angered by bogus and misleading "reviews" about the quality of Mill Creek's complete series Blu-ray of The Rockford Files...because of that, I waited a good long while to buy it...when I finally saw it for myself, I was thrilled by the spectacular look of the new HD transfers, a huge upgrade over the old Universal DVDs...

I have the complete series of Lovejoy, the 22 disc BBC/Freemantle release of all 6 "series" and including the two Christmas specials, The Prague Sun and The Lost Colony...7 cases in a cardboard slipcase, and loaded with extra bonus features, mostly on camera interviews with Ian McShane doing a retrospective on each individual series...because I love the show so much and want to help out a fellow fan, I took these screen caps from my DVDs so you can take a look for yourself...they look great on my 55" HDTV...

Menu for disc 1 of the first series (1985)...
    Lovejoy 19.JPG
    Lovejoy 1.JPG
    Lovejoy 2.JPG
    Lovejoy 3.JPG
    Lovejoy 4.JPG
    Lovejoy 5.JPG
    Lovejoy 6.JPG
    Lovejoy 7.JPG
    Lovejoy 8.JPG
    Lovejoy 9.JPG
    Lovejoy 10.JPG
    Lovejoy 11.JPG
    Lovejoy 12.JPG
    Lovejoy 13.JPG
    Lovejoy 14.JPG
    Lovejoy 15.JPG
    Lovejoy 17.JPG
    Lovejoy 18.JPG

I wouldn't wait...I don't think it's likely to happen...if you really love the show, you should get it...you might even find a great deal on a used set...what's the availability for the Lovejoy sets these days, I don't know if they're out of print or not...more screen caps below...

Jeff Flugel, Jack K and Blimpoy06 like this.
  10. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    My screen caps for disc 3 of Lovejoy series 1 (1985)...menu screen with bonus Ian McShane retrospective on the early episodes...
    Lovejoy 20.JPG

Death and Venice...
    Lovejoy 21.JPG
    Lovejoy 22.JPG
    Lovejoy 23.JPG
    Lovejoy 24.JPG
    Lovejoy 25.JPG
    Lovejoy 26.JPG
    Lovejoy 27.JPG
    Lovejoy 29.JPG
    Lovejoy 28.JPG

Jeff Flugel and Jack K like this.
  11. Message #11 of 13 Sep 13, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Many thanks for posting those screen grabs from the Lovejoy sets, Randall - much appreciated! The Series 1 transfers look perfectly fine to my eyes...though perhaps there's a bit too much blue in the Series 3 caps for some tastes

I've been mulling over buying Series 1 for a while now. That's the one I want, as it captures a bit more of the gritty, down-and-dirty tone of Jonathan Gash's books. The later revamped show is still enjoyable, but I remember being a bit more impressed with the show before Lovejoy had his hard edges sanded off.

Jack K, BobO'Link and Flashgear like this.
  12. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    You're welcome Jeff! Lovejoy is one of my absolute favorite Brit TV shows. The complete series BBC/Freemantle 22 disc set that I have looks very good throughout. I'm not sure what happened when I took the latter set of screen caps, as the two parter Death and Venice didn't look quite that blueish when I viewed it on my computer or TV. The series one two part episode were the last of the 1985 episodes aired. Overall, the episode was filmed under overcast skies and the reflected light off the Venetian canali may have somewhat influenced the look of those caps...but as you can see of the Isle of Man episode, Friends, Romans and Enemies, the colors are genuine and the video quality throughout the whole run is very good...I don't know if this show was shot on 2" video tape or not...

Your expansive knowledge of British TV exceeds my own, Jeff. I probably only have about 8 or so complete British TV series in my collection right now (Avengers (Blackman and Rigg), Danger Man, Saint, Persuaders, Baron, Dept. S, Dr. Who, Espionage)...I have many more of the great British theatrical films in my collection than I do TV shows...thanks to your posts about your own Brit viewing, I intend to pick up the Network Blus of Zoo Gang, Man in a Suitcase and others you've featured...I've never read the books upon which Lovejoy is based, but I do share your view of series one, 1985, as having a different feel than 1990-91, and the rest of the run...but I love the entirety of the show, funny, charming and informative as to the history of art and artifacts...not many shows on either side of the pond have had a production history by where there was a 5 year gap between incarnations of a long running show, which then went on to a very long and successful run at home and abroad, being a huge hit for BBC worldwide and A+E in the '90s, where I first discovered it.

Jack K and Jeff Flugel like this.
  13. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    My wife and I discovered Lovejoy on A&E and both love it (one of the few shows we watch together). All my sets are the BBC R1 releases and, AFAIK, look quite good (I don't know which were first - the BBC or the Acorn ones). They're not HD quality but more than acceptable. While collecting that one I found it's rare for it to see lower pricing, even in the used market with prices for each season quite inconsistent (one would be ~$10 new while another would be $30+ used). If I were purchasing today I'd shoot for that complete series set for both price and space considerations (it's about what you'd currently pay for individual seasons without the hassle of tracking them down onand settling for used for a few - some look to be OOP).

It was Ian McShane's participation that got me to blind-buy Deadwood. I love that one too, for different reasons, but it's also one my wife wouldn't tolerate (too many "f bombs" per minute at the least).

Jack K and Jeff Flugel like this.