What's new

Loved Baraka, anything similar? (1 Viewer)

Eric T

Second Unit
I just saw Baraka, and really loved it. Are there any other movies out there like that?

Luc D

Second Unit
Definitely check out Godfrey Reggio's Quatsi trilogy. In fact, if I'm not mistaken Ron Fricke (the director of Baraka) was the director of photography on those films. So check out Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi and the recently released (though I have yet to see it) Naqoyqatsi. Have fun!

Tony Stirling

Stunt Coordinator
You might also enjoy Link Removed

It's also by Reggio, with music by Philip Glass. It's much shorter, though (only 1/2 hour) but very beautiful. It deals more with animals, etc., but it's in the same vein.

Baraka is wonderful, I fully agree. Happy viewing!

tony

Tony Stirling

Stunt Coordinator
Uh oh, it looks like the Anima Mundi DVD might be out of print!! Anyone know if that's true? That would be a shame. :frowning:

tony

Tony Stirling

Stunt Coordinator
Oops! One more, if you liked Baraka-- Chronos.

It's directed by Ron Fricke also, very much the same kind of film--again, very beautiful.

This one, I'm pretty sure, is still in print!!

enjoy

tony

Eric T

Second Unit
Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll definitely check out the ones you recommended.

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
I just watched Baraka this evening and found it less compelling than Koyaanisqatsi. The music was especially weak in comparison to Glass' scores.

One part of Baraka I did wish to ask about was with the little chicks. What was the deal there? The method of sorting them out seemed awfully violent for animals they intended to raise for sale. But what I really didn't understand is what the two machines were for; the one where they laid the chick on its side, and the other where it looked like they were burning the birds' beaks. Anyone know what they were doing?

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
PS Nystrom-

The chicks getting tossed were headed to a grinder.
The burning of the top beak prevents them from growing so the chickens cannot hurt each other with them.

The crosscutting between the chicks and the humans sent a pretty clear message.

Also, I disagree about the music. While the Philip Glass scores in the comparable films are great, I find the music with Baraka to be more "universal," and varied and particularly the music and singing with the street kids is quite moving.

Mark

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
Thanks for the explaination, Mark. Do you know what was happening when that person was laying the chicks on their sides on a metal contraption and then tossing them somewhere? The only thing I could think of was maybe they were being branded? But that doesn't make much sense.

I was reading another thread about this movie and someone mentioned being weirded out by the scene with the men chanting and doing the wave (don't know how else to describe it) towards the beginning of the film. Personally I found that scene to be one of my favorites. The sound and visuals were certainly nothing like anything I've seen before. What are favorite shots of others?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks