Lovecraft Country

CRW

Grip
Real Name
Chris
Episodes three and four deviated quite substantially from the source material. Ep three ended differently in the book but I think the TV version is better and definitely bigger. (The book version is good but might have had TV watchers saying "that's it?"). Ep four doesn't exist at all in the novel but considering Atticus's love of pulp novels the "Raiders/National Treasure" sequences work well. My guess is Ep five will be Ruby's descent into Jekyll/Hyde territory and Hippolyta's not-so-excellent adventure.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Now I've caught up with the Journey to the Center of the Earth episode (foreshadowed by the kid reading the Jules Verne book in the library early on). Cryptic clues, caves and adventure giving it that whole Indiana Jones vibe, so every episode continues to build around a completely different genre. I'm a bit lost, plot-wise, but the show is entertaining whether you're keeping up with the whole mythology or not (hey, it's not The X-Files with bees and black oil). And I'm still marveling at what the budget must be per episode.

Michael Williams sure got to break out of his muted actor tropes (think The Wire) on this one. I've never seen him so Scooby Doo manic over-the-top, but I'm enjoying it.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Last edited:

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Well, oooo-kay, and now we have the unique twist on the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde genre, or maybe the Wolfman*.

As for the ending of this weeks' genre story within a story, what's not to understand about
revenging and raping her sexist bigot manager with some classy black high heels?

*"Even a sister who is pure in heart
and sings in choir by night
may become a bitch when Marshall Fields calls
and she turns a shade of white."

And yes that skin shedding SFX was awesome, and gross.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Caught up on this show.

I think the level of production on this show is top-notch. I am mostly enjoying it, though it seems to be all over the place.

Was very surprised to see the great actor, Michael Williams known for playing OMAR (The Wire) and CHALKY (Boardwalk Empire) to be in a role like this. Kind of unsettling.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I lasted 5 episodes agree the show is all over the map. The 1st two are the strongest but in the end there was no one I really cared about

• Sad
Reactions: Sam Posten

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Episode 6 was truly excellent. One of the standout pieces of television this year. I wouldn't be surprised if the episode is nominated for an Emmy.

Reactions: Sam Posten

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
And now we have... a Korean folklore story. Anyone watching this as other than an anthology series is bound to be put off. I am thoroughly enjoying the wildly diverse story genre shift every week. This episode had its own rewards. The actress (Jamie Chung) was just stunning. Watching the speed dating scene where her prospective suitors were crossing her off, I just kept thinking "Are you insane?!"

If ever there was a metaphor of sex=death, or loss of the soul, this is it. I wonder if the original Korean folk story it was based upon was created as a cautionary tale (I almost wrote tail) to discourage any promiscuity or premarital sex? Just seems like something a strict traditional regime or culture might do.

I am also guessing that was an older, wiser, sadder, cynical Judy Garland monologue voiceover we were hearing at the end as they were confronting the fox and the witch (female shaman?). It felt appropriate after the giddy energetic positivity of the Meet Me in St. Louis version.

What a turn. Keep 'em coming. Without losing their souls, of course.

Reactions: jayembee

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
And now we have... a Korean folklore story. Anyone watching this as other than an anthology series is bound to be put off.
I've gotten so used to serialized storytelling over the last decade of TV that it is very odd to see a big budget HBO show be so deliberately self contained. That's not a critique because I think it's a nice change of pace.

Reactions: Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Is anyone else watching the limited series The Third Day on HBO Mondays at 9 pm? It's a very stylish British-produced mystery-horror-drama that deserves to also be called Lovecraft Country it's so effectively creepy.
This latest episode with the LSD trip by Jude Law character was off-the-charts dazzling creepy, with hallucinations of menacing trees, floating festival goers and other visuals.

I get a distinct Wicker Man vibe from this series, as we are eventually set to uncover the real Pagan rituals and truth behind this secretive community Law is stuck in. The camera technique of favoring extreme close ups of Law as he wanders around is equal parts unsettling and frustrating - probably as intended. But you sure want to know WTF is going on. Was Law's son a sacrifice? And will he be as well to their Pagan rituals?
Knowing this is a limited series, anything is possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It's a Showgirls episode, no it's an Amazon gladiator episode, no it's a comic book sci-fi episode. I give up. Whatever it was, it was entertaining and showcased the awesome production values and budget that HBO's premier timeslot affords. Ultimately, the episode was a black female empowerment episode, and with Hippolyta going through the motions, that was more than okay.

I'm enjoying this show, but it is not so compelling I need to watch it at first broadcast as Watchmen or other shows. And as far as The Third Day, it seems they wrapped up the Jude Law arc and I probably will end there, as well. Not as satisfying an ending as The Wicker Man, but I definitely liked the trippy visuals and creepy tone.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I stopped watching LOVECRAFT COUNTY for about two weeks. I just couldn't figure it out, outside of its messages regarding racism.

So, early this morning I sat down and watched the last two episodes which began with the Korean girl. I didn't think I was going to enjoy this particular episode, but it turns out, I was completely charmed by the storytelling -- as horrific as it was in moments.

I then watched this week's new episode and was completely blown away by the intergalactic trip it was taking its viewers on.

I am not quite sure what I am watching week after week nor what this show wants to be. I will say, however, the production values are perhaps the best I have seen on television in some time. If anything, this show is eye candy.

I am looking forward to what comes next.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You guys keep trying to put this show in a neat little box. It ain't gonna work that way and I AM HERE FOR IT. =)

Ho ho ho, Tic now has a Shoggoth!!!!!

Right you are!

It took one of my Facebook friends to lay it out and explain it all to me. I have been treating this show as a continuous storyline. That was my big mistake.

Here is a quote from my High School friend who put it in perspective. Please excuse the typos and formatting as it was taken off of Facebook.

The show is much deeper than you think it’s filled with little known black history facts that I think may go over people’s head. HP Lovecraft was a racist the show is Putting a thumb in his eye by reimagining his mythos with black characters as the protagonists.

Traditionally black characters have always been left out of sci fi fantasy Horror. Fiction. Or maybe worse always been the first one to die if we are included So it’s really groundbreaking. To have black characters as the heroes of these types of stories.

The show is also political in the way it is using sci fi fantasy to comment on racism Posing the question Who are The Real monsters? Living in the day to day terrors of those times was actually like living in a monster movie for black folks. Knowing your life could be taken with impunity. For the slightest slight. Of the dominant culture. Check out this link for a deeper understanding

https://langstonleaguellc.squarespace.com/popculturepd

Also each episode. Is a recasting of different genre with black heroes So far we’ve had a haunted house story, an Indiana. Jones style
Adventure story, A sci fi story, A vampire story

Last episode. Was a Japanese vengeful. Ghost style story. So the reason it seems like the show is all over is it’s trying to include black characters. In all the different genres that they have been left out of

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Billman